Birnbeck Pier, Weston Super Mare - June 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tumbles

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Another report on this run down forgotten pier at the other end of Weston. I think time ran out for it about 10 years ago. The nearby royal pier hotel, also owned by the same people, recently burnt down. I'd imagine any future for the pier will hinge on a 'enabling development' on the hotel site. The sceptical side of me wonders if the pier might catch fire one day soon. Accidently, of course.

Designed and build in 1867 it's was a tourist attraction in the early 20th century with a variety of amusements and even a big dipper roller coaster. From the late 1960's it's been in decline and since 1994 it's been off limits to the general public. All that exists is the crumbling buildings and a still active RNLI lifeboat station. Getting out to the pier is an event in itself, watch the tide..or you might get stranded :lol:

196.jpg

150.jpg

154.jpg

156.jpg

159.jpg

167.jpg

169.jpg

178.jpg

182.jpg

191.jpg

More:
http://www.whateversleft.co.uk/leisure/birnbeck-pier-weston-super-mare

I don't see the pier lasting much longer! Nice pics and thanks for posting them :)

I don't see the pier lasting much longer! Nice pics and thanks for posting them :)

Well, it has new owners. As I say the new owners also owned the hotel next to this but it burnt down and had to be demo'd about 12 months ago. I'd guess they bought both with a view to doing someting with the whole area. The owners also own Puxton Park as well and were trying to save the tropicana while this continues to rot away.. :confused:

Be interesting to see the next lot of plans, in a way I wish Urban Splash had the money to develop it -they'd have probably done something quite different to say the least.

Sort of reminds me of Battersea. Many owners, many big plans, not much end product.

Well, it has new owners. As I say the new owners also owned the hotel next to this but it burnt down and had to be demo'd about 12 months ago. I'd guess they bought both with a view to doing someting with the whole area. The owners also own Puxton Park as well and were trying to save the tropicana while this continues to rot away.. :confused:

Be interesting to see the next lot of plans, in a way I wish Urban Splash had the money to develop it -they'd have probably done something quite different to say the least.

Sort of reminds me of Battersea. Many owners, many big plans, not much end product.

It does sound like everybody has big plans for the place but never any funds to back it up. When I was here last, I spoke to a couple of locals that were so happy that Urban Splash were developing it. They said that it will be nice to not look at this everyday.

I think my wife has nailed the problem though - not many tourists go up that end, everybody stays down the bottom by the Grand Pier as it's where everything is now. It will take more than just a "done up" pier to bring people down that end I think.

Lets hope something actually happens with the place, would be nice to see it back to life...Im not holding my breath though!

Latest posts

Back