Blessed Wood, N Wales ( and If I knew how to resize snaps for this site I would do it )

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grindle

I travel alone. Wanderlust
Reaction score
Is this or is this not an idyllic country lane, a veritable choc box snap.

_DSC0137.jpeg

The last house in the village, before the rolling Welsh farming pastures, spring lambs yet to be born.

_DSC0134.jpeg

You know if you haven't eaten Welsh spring lamb, be it chops, lamb shanks, slow cooked in red currant and rosemary jus. Or a leg roasted with root vegatables and mint sauce, I will tell you this, you are missing out on the most succulent tender and sweet meat anywhere on earth.

_DSC0136.jpeg

C'mon
Let's mooch

_DSC0115.jpeg

23tGyCPGizEdqHHJsKByUQcELiwGF5ibeaEkaLMhBN3jVtXavgXsbs8pAs9L8SRf9WTik.jpeg

23wMRdTD17X6BGTL2Zf6W8w3hxkWKEBhZEmkST5fQv9b71rotavKy3izMNTheqfHjfq3X.jpeg

Now that is what I call a doorbell, bingy fucking bong, Avon calling.

_DSC0108.jpeg

Softly softly catchee monkee, the neighbours were at home and they had a fucking big dog roaming free!

23tm7UE1W7BbMc9rKoqonqhcmcruUdcZb7wA69Lm81LfK2BUWthP3H9T7i6Q7g8TuUp8z.jpeg

23tva544onXLrge5dB7pjLyckFiu5UfcMa5SmLYnJiu1PBnnSwdCtqq7VU5Sajq1HrUk7.jpeg

It seems like previous moochers have arranged some of the remains of a life to obtain their shots, no probs I shall snap away too.

_DSC0104.jpeg
_DSC0096.jpeg

I know nothing of any history of this house nor anyone who has lived here, though I get the feeling that whoever it was was a god fearing man, shall we say.

_DSC0098.jpeg

Why otherwise the need for a hanging portrait of a locally born vicar who died in 1714.

_DSC0099.jpeg

23uFRca59hpegjyh7jwYqLX9ZD6GTRMDBNLGjQoUjCsUtHvUdbZKmZiBGyeZMsPxstb7M.jpeg

23tbif3fkTcKsSWQdMdrUXCFXR3z6VVwdirtWEVJcsVVYKAxG8f9RqQK3TvGPqSbtM5ps.jpeg

A fascination for men's portraits still hanging from the picture rail, to the left another one with an imaginary friend, no idea about the edwardian looking chappie to the right.

_DSC0110.jpeg

23tSSKZ22Zne5xYBeXGZ4dcw73mez17EHeLsNTaKSi9CBRSq7ABVJXfAsfuZ95skYYk9r.jpeg

_DSC0124.jpeg

I swear I did not place that advert in the paper! and all this gender wokery that seems to have been started years ago, by Mr Hornbuckle and his cock chicks.

23z7E3pTk5JSGN7P2vu3BZuYRv3FRYiayMqdVj3aySQCUPjinpQnwK7174VuCWJ1rGbik.jpeg

23vhoFNouuwK51Je2fWbaXybSQuAhX99kRXxqF93qTxfWcHQpMQjDWUjEc9bWzVGANzVZ.jpeg
Time to climb the wooden hill and see what offerings are upstairs.
_DSC0119.jpeg
_DSC0130.jpeg

Call me weird but I kinda like the colour of the bathroom suite.

_DSC0126.jpeg
_DSC0127.jpeg
_DSC0128.jpeg

How some bits and bobs remain in these places always amazes me, 60 years on, makes me wonder if the funeral pamphlets lived longer than the deceased themselves.

_DSC0109.jpeg

No idea.

_DSC0106.jpeg

I find this image to be rather disturbing, as though they are willing a curse upon me for being here, staring back at them, they look like something out of a hammer horror film preparing for their next sacrifice.

_DSC0113.jpeg

E B Jones were a chain of grocery shops across North Wales.They had branches in many towns with the Head Office was in Rhyl, once a popuar seaside resort that was a very popular resort for summer holidays; during the 60's, always remember going there every year on the train as a youngster on a weeks holiday with ma and pa and baby bro, 7 nights in a guest house bed breakfast and evening meal included. friday night, the last night was the highlight as we all went to the funfair.

Now the fun fair doesn't exist and the town is run down full of smackheads and dossers, beggars and illegal immigrants.

_DSC0111.jpeg

E B Jones folded when the bigger supermarkets started to take over slowly one by one they closed their shops and finally the Head Office in the 60s.

_DSC0117.jpeg
_DSC0102.jpeg

Back in 1962, one could buy a fridge freezer for a reduced price of 35 guineas

WARNING MANSPLAINING ALERT!!

1 guinea was...... £1.1s 0d back in the days of proper money, which after decimalisation (which caused prices to rise, as prices were "rounded up" from Lsd, funny how things are never "rounded down") So £1.1s 0d became £1.05p. Still with me???

In todays money 35 guineas is approximately £970, the average wage in 1962 in the UK was £800, my oh my how the rich lived.

_DSC0120.jpeg
_DSC0101.jpeg
_DSC0129.jpeg
_DSC0103.jpeg
_DSC0118.jpeg

victorian v edwardian, how styles changed very quickly in the early 20th century, from the dour black to a more relaxed style. (get you gok wan)

_DSC0112.jpeg

A rag tag bunch of boys very much in the style of the early 20th century.

All "unsexed" about the chicks meant was that no one had turned them upside down to see if they were male or female; it did not mean something in between. Efficient chick - or chicken - sexers were very much in demand. I presume still today; most male chicks have a very short life

North Wales has always been a lot more nationalistic than the south. So no surprise that the funeral service was in English and Welsh. As for the Welsh Plant Breeding Station suffering cutbacks in 1984, more government shortsightedness. Now no coal mines, and almost no steel industry.

I too liked the blue bathroom suite. Mine is green!

Pricing in guineas meant giving the impression an item was cheaper than it really was. My Grundig TK5 tape recorder - in 1956 - was 52 guineas. Today, umpteen things are £xxx and 99p.

Ah, the Rayburn - the poor housewife's Aga. My grandparents had one. And in the photo was also an electric oven and hob - possibly Creda.

Would you have enjoyed 'ryden' in G H Ryden's motoring school car?

E B Jones's store reminded me of those seen in Australian cities right up to the 1970s.

Part of the change of style from Victorian to Edwardian portrait photography was with shorter shutter speeds, making keeping stock still while the shutter was open not so much an ordeal. As we know, Victoria wore only black after Albert died; a style much copied it seems.

As for "Avon calling" - make sure it is not the River Avon at your front door.

Back