Boshers Cholsey

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

night crawler

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the first post I have done in years and I used my iPhone to take them. Enjoy
Not much history I can tell you about this place other than it was a family run business that started in 1820 became a ltd company in 1972 and went into administration in 2017. It was also one of the sub contractors that built some of the WWII pillboxes you can find along the Thames and the last one of the four that went bust. I wanted to record the place before it was built on and noticed some work going on at the main entrance so just went for a walk up to the entrance on Papist way and walked in taking a few photos of the place in Nov 2019

IMG_4538 (2).JPG

The Papist way entrance before the closed it off

IMG_4522 (2).JPG

This used to be the old woodworking shop
IMG_4524.JPG

Turning left into the yard
IMG_4525.JPG

Storage sheds
IMG_4526.JPG

heading over to the main entrance
IMG_4527.JPG

I could not tell you the history on this one but it was converted for some office use
IMG_4528.JPG

Turning 180 deg towards the woodworking shop

IMG_4530.JPG

Woodworking shop

IMG_4531.JPG

Storage sheds which I think were converted into units
IMG_4532.JPG

I dare say this was the Boshers original family home but most likely used as offices
IMG_4536.JPG

The building beside the house
IMG_4537.JPG

Converted building.
That was Boshers yard the week after you could not access the site and soon after they started demolition. The main house which I thought would be kept was the last to be demolished which was a bit of a shock to me. At the present time they are building houses there and I would think the show house will be open soon

You're over in my area! That house (and one just down the road (quite literally)) were up for sale a couple years ago- just the houses, not the rest of the plot. We were looking at moving from our tiny house near Benson to somewhere still in the general Wallingford area and came across it. We didn't have it on our "interested" list as the pics from the interior showed just too much work to be done.

Is this going to be yet ANOTHER new housing estate? We only have 928,193,101,391,537 going in in these parts. *eye roll*

Thanks for the pics though- I've always been curious as to what's back there...

You're over in my area! That house (and one just down the road (quite literally)) were up for sale a couple years ago- just the houses, not the rest of the plot. We were looking at moving from our tiny house near Benson to somewhere still in the general Wallingford area and came across it. We didn't have it on our "interested" list as the pics from the interior showed just too much work to be done.

Is this going to be yet ANOTHER new housing estate? We only have 928,193,101,391,537 going in in these parts. *eye roll*

This is what is there now

Attachments

• IMG_7537.jpg
    IMG_7537.jpg
    980.1 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_7539.jpg
    IMG_7539.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 284
Ugh. I've not had any real reason to go towards that particular side of Cholsey (my vet is on the other side) but I'm not surprised. I just don't know who's actually buying the millions of homes being thrown together...
The just took me for 400 quid

They'll do that! We need to take our big dog in but I'm going to try to wait. But no... I'm further north, over in Dorchester. I was down near Benson but we're just up the road now. I assume you've seen that the (infamous) white house on A4074 that's been on here a few times finally has a roof (and a blindingly bright anti-theft light that's on all night... for good reason, I'm sure..).

My stamping ground too. I'm a mile or so South of Boshers. They built the bungalow we currently live in and an exact copy of it just up the road. Ulrika Jonsson is a few doors away from Boshers' yard!

My stamping ground too. I'm a mile or so South of Boshers. They built the bungalow we currently live in and an exact copy of it just up the road. Ulrika Jonsson is a few doors away from Boshers' yard!
Moulsford? Can't believe Ulrika lives around here, I've never seen her.

Moulsford, yes. Followed the demise of Fairmile very closely. We used to attend their saturday open days and fetes when you could look around pretty much unhindered. Was sad to see the George Schuster centre with its wing roof go. My Mrs. went for a job at Fairmile but decided to stay where she was - Broadmoor - even though the daily commute was a killer. She still maintains she felt safer there than in Friar Street, Reading on a Saturday afternoon. I contrived to visit her at work once and her boss at the time gave me a guided tour.

Moulsford, yes. Followed the demise of Fairmile very closely. We used to attend their saturday open days and fetes when you could look around pretty much unhindered. Was sad to see the George Schuster centre with its wing roof go. My Mrs. went for a job at Fairmile but decided to stay where she was - Broadmoor - even though the daily commute was a killer. She still maintains she felt safer there than in Friar Street, Reading on a Saturday afternoon. I contrived to visit her at work once and her boss at the time gave me a guided tour.
Read this George Schuster
Not sure about uploading it all again, needless to say I had unfettered access while it was all going on. BTW most of the bungalows in Cholsey were built by Boshers around the 1930's and Charles Road is named after the son though which one I could not say because they all seem to be called that. Most of the bunglows there are Boshers as well

Last edited:

Yes, and so it will continue for years to come here and where I live. Trouble is people keep doing that funny thing that makes more of us, and then the youngsters grow up and need homes, so more housing estates. There should be an answer by now
:(
The black painted buildings are (were) very eye catching and must have hidden a lot of scuffs and damage over the years. Pity it's all gone for something that won't be half as interesting. :)

Very fond memories of Boshers Yard and wokers. my uncle Arthur Pearson was a Carpenter there for many years. He and my Aunty and son Benny lived in the semi detached brick house on the main road and backed on to the Yard.I lived there in 1964 when I was 7 yerars old on holliday from the Falklands. I was in Mac's shop all the time buying sweets and crisps .I still visit Cholsey now and then its a special place in my child hood I am now 65.Any one remember the Forty Stores.

Very fond memories of Boshers Yard and wokers. my uncle Arthur Pearson was a Carpenter there for many years. He and my Aunty and son Benny lived in the semi detached brick house on the main road and backed on to the Yard.I lived there in 1964 when I was 7 yerars old on holliday from the Falklands. I was in Mac's shop all the time buying sweets and crisps .I still visit Cholsey now and then its a special place in my child hood I am now 65.Any one remember the Forty Stores.
You mean Tesco as it is now, More to the point do you remember the Orchard Stores. Arthurs house is still there but nothning of Boshers is any more.

You mean Tesco as it is now, More to the point do you remember the Orchard Stores. Arthurs house is still there but nothning of Boshers is any more.
The Cholsey is a large village in South Oxfordshire bordering with the Berkshire Downs. It is mainly regarded as a commuter village for Reading and London. A few other interesting things there, Agatha Christie's grave in the parish churchyard and a large tithe barn that hopefully hasn't been turn into expensive houses by now. The Fairmile Hospital with its secure wards was opposite Bosher's yard. The whole hospital site has now been redeveloped into a large housing complex with the main hospital building made into flats.

Last edited:
The Cholsey is a large village in South Oxfordshire bordering with the Berkshire Downs. It is mainly regarded as a commuter village for Reading and London. A few other interesting things there, Agatha Christie's grave in the parish churchyard and a large tithe barn that hopefully hasn't been turn into expensive houses by now. The Fairmile Hospital with its secure wards was opposite Bosher's yard. The whole hospital site has now been redeveloped into a large housing complex with the main hospital building made into flats.
You trying to teach your grandmother to suck eggs, I've lived here for nigh on 70 years. Cholsey was in North Berkshire but as you say part of South Oxfordshire now though that part of the downs also is. I would not say the wards at Fairmile were that secure, there were enough escapes from the place plus my parents worked there and I had no problem popping in to see them though they did have to unlock the doors to let me out. Most people who worked there will not visit it now

I lived close by for about 45 years. Many memories of the area. I know many people in Cholsey.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back