Box Tunnel Old Signal

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffy5518

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Hi all ;
Not that interesting really but i thought i would share this little gem with you.
A few hundred yards from the Eastern portal of Box tunnel on the Up line stands this long redundent reminder of the steam age.This was a lower quadrant distant signal unusually placed in the confines of a tunnel (i'm guessing that it was controlled by Thingley Jn sig box)Because of the limited clearence inside the tunnel it was never fitted with a signal arm and consists of just a spectacle plate which would show a yellow light for caution or a green light for line clear.Once again i'm guessing that it must of been out of use for at least 45yrs as the line from Bristol TM's - Paddington was resignalled around the early 1960s.
IMG_1549copy.jpg

ALSO (while were on the old main line) This is the long since abandoned box at Wooton Basset Incline between Chippenham and Swindon again decommissioned in the early 60s
IMG_3903.jpg

PS Please excuse phot qualities !!

I know what you are saying with the a.r.p. bit mate. Certainly does look like one though. Love the old Signal too, very evocative.:)

Well, there's a vent in the bricks so perhaps they were bricked up while it was still in use?

LOL. sal we were but time got late after we walked for ages and hit that wall....lol....

yes this is true, sort out with mendo for the next trip, Im gagging to have a look at that little spring......

I've just come across Fluffy's photo of the up distant signal inside Box Tunnel. From the angle, the photo was taken from a passing train. Am I right? When was it taken? I have attached a photo taken some time ago by the one time railway signalman and well known railway subject author Adrian Vaughan.

Attachments

• 87 IMG_6136 JPEG.jpg
    87 IMG_6136 JPEG.jpg
    628.3 KB · Views: 83
I've got 'Signalmans Reflections' by him, a very good book if you're into that sort of thing.
Sorry, I can't help with this signal though as I'm not in GWR territory!

Thanks, Electric. I was on the phone to Adrian Vaughan on 11 April, about the sun shining through the tunnel. Adrian is still contributing material to the internet and publishers.

Back