Bridge over Nothing

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobClay

Reaction score
The Ladder Bridge near Stafford which used to go over the river to the East of the town. They re-routed the river decades ago and left the bridge with nothing to cross but a field fence (so now it's a super stile.) As a kid our school cross country run used to go over this bridge (50s/60s) so it's burned into my memory from those days.

LaddderBridge01.jpg
LadderBridge02.jpg

Awesome! I've never come across a pointless footbridge like this, lets hope it never gets taken down.

I love it. There used to be a disused railway bridge that crossed nothing. I used to love driving over it. Then the county council removed it for no valid reason except spending surplus council tax.
I hope yours doesn't get the same treatment.

There are loads of disused railway bridges unfortunately they and other heritage disused railway buildings have recently (couple of years)been transferred to the Highways agency. Last month they finally got the £41 million budget they requested to demolish most of them first to go were some railway cottages which were in good condition and rented out until last year so it is time to write to your new councillors and MP's to try and preserve as much as possible.

Love this, must look for it! Is it near to the link to the Staffs and Worcs Canal that is being renovated?

There are loads of disused railway bridges unfortunately they and other heritage disused railway buildings have recently (couple of years)been transferred to the Highways agency. Last month they finally got the £41 million budget they requested to demolish most of them first to go were some railway cottages which were in good condition and rented out until last year so it is time to write to your new councillors and MP's to try and preserve as much as possible.
How was this £41 million of our money diverted to destroy yet more of our past? If it is not statues it is anything to show haw we got to where we are now. Have Highways England, Wales and Scotland got the same hatred for our hsitory?

Haven't been up to Stafford for a couple of years but yes it is very near the canal. Due east of the town centre it's shown here on Google Earth upper left of centre. The river Sow to the North and the river Penk and Canal to the East. You can just about make out the original routes with a bit of imagination.

ladderbridge2.jpg

Latest posts

Back