Britain's drills hall book

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_historian

Reaction score
Just when I saw Ben's excellent thread on the Paisley drill hall, I thought I would let people know about this book I acquired a while back-
Always Ready; the drill halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces. by Mike Osborne. Partizan Press. 2006.
http://www.caliverbooks.com/bookvie...81411df5d4d&id=11562&subcatcode=A&subcatno=54
To call it a masterpiece is an understatement; it's more of an encyclopaedia! It lists just about every known drill hall ever built, along with architectural details and copious pics. It's pricey, but worth every penny.

Actually, that's not a bad price. I just checked it out on Amazon and it's £6 more expensive on there, and the used editions are the same price. Is this the same Mike Osborne that wrote the 'Pillboxes of Great Britain'?
Cheers for the link, Gordon. That looks an interesting one. :)

Does it mention BOTH drill halls in Peterhead?

The original was demolished wayyy back, but I remember we used to meet there for the start of Remembrance Day parades when I was a wee cadet.

The newer one is hardly of architectural importance, but I wondered if it was in there anyway.

Kirk Street is the one that was demo'd in the 70's, I think it was. Catto drive is the somewhat more modern one, although I suppose by now "modern" is perhaps stretching things a bit :D

Any pics of the Kirk Street one? Much info? Drawings etc?

No pics or drawings of those two, unfortunately.
No info at all on Kirk St, other than it being the drill station for F Sqdn, 2nd Scottish Horse and also base for HQ & B + C Coys, 5th Gordons in 1914.

Hmm. That in itself is very interesting. I now have to wonder where there stables were. More digging to be done, methinks.

i was up there the other day for a look see u cand get in but can walk about the outside .what i can see its been well trashed inside ,worth a look ,

Back