Bryan's Lodge, Wymondham, Leicestershire, July 2020

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughieD

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
1. The History
One of those really small, modest places where you know you aren’t going to find a lot of history. And so, it proved to be. It was built in the Mid-19th century from squared ironstone and brick with limestone ashlar dressings and Collyweston slate, roof like many of the houses in the area.

2. The Explore
En route to a bigger explore, it seemed rude not to pop into this bijou little place. Grade II listed in 1988, Bryan’s cottage has probably been left empty since circa 2013. Since then it’s remained empty. There were plans tabled to rebuild the cottage and extend the outbuilding in August 2018 and were granted setting the three-year time limit ticking. It was pretty empty bar the piano but there was plenty of decay to merit half an hour or so here.

3. The Pictures

img6845 by HughieDW, on Flickr

img6843 by HughieDW, on Flickr

Leicestershire Lodge 01 by HughieDW, on Flickr

Leicestershire Lodge 11 by HughieDW, on Flickr

Leicestershire Lodge 02 by HughieDW, on Flickr

The out-building:

Leicestershire Lodge 12 by HughieDW, on Flickr

First thing you come to is this:

Leicestershire Lodge 04 by HughieDW, on Flickr

A Broadwood piano, which is quite unusual:

Leicestershire Lodge 06 by HughieDW, on Flickr

img6826 by HughieDW, on Flickr

img6824 by HughieDW, on Flickr

Clearly it was a bit of a musical house:

img6827 by HughieDW, on Flickr

Leicestershire Lodge 05 by HughieDW, on Flickr

Leicestershire Lodge 03 by HughieDW, on Flickr

img6837 by HughieDW, on Flickr

Leicestershire Lodge 07 by HughieDW, on Flickr

img6833 by HughieDW, on Flickr

On to the kitchen:

img6832 by HughieDW, on Flickr

It's a quaint one is't it. I love the way you have photographed it sinking quietly down into the undergrowth only to disappear forever one day. Small but would have been cosy to live in, especially in winter I imagine. How on earth do people just walk away leaving things you would expect them to take. I suppose the piano would have been a bother to move, nevertheless... ?
The inside is somewhat depressing but the outside makes up for it I think. Thank you, I do enjoy my trips away to ramble through these buildings you all take the trouble to record. :)

Back