Buller Barracks Aldershot

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agnos

Reaction score
First go at a post:

Buller Barracks in Stanhope Lines in Aldershot was opened in 1970 and built on the site of the original Buller, which had stood there since the 1890s. It was the home and training depot of the Royal Corps of Transport, originally the Royal Army Service Corps. From 1965 until 1993, the RCT was the foremost provider of transport on a large scale for the British army and most of the men trained at Buller were destined for the heavy transport and tank transporter squadrons stationed in Germany in the British Army of the Rhine. The RCT was disbanded in 1993 as the Cold War requirement faded and it’s troops absorbed into the Royal Logistics Corps, with training being moved to Deepcut. Buller Barracks has been handed over to a contractor for demolition and redevelopment.

Parade Ground
buller55_zps3b009d0a.jpg

Drill Shed
buller54_zps8a8d1bfa.jpg

Admin Buildings
buller52_zpse378e2a3.jpg

Accommodation Blocks
buller26-Copy_zpsda9e2be1.jpg

DSCN6145-Copy_zps18e5a443.jpg

DSCN6144-Copy_zps2cdf79ba.jpg

DSCN6141-Copy2_zps9341bb75.jpg

DSCN6138-Copy_zpsfeda7f24.jpg

Cookhouse
cookhouse_zps76e8150c.jpg

Guardroom and cells
DSCN6128-Copy_zps0e7f7180.jpg

DSCN6130-Copy_zps301c21b3.jpg

"The RCT was disbanded in 1993 as the Cold War requirement faded" and "Buller Barracks has been handed over to a contractor for demolition and redevelopment". A good job there is no country leader wanting to restart the Cold War! I remember the original Buller Barracks when I passed by them when visiting Aldershot from Longmoor. And at Longmoor there was a row of married quarters named after somewhere in the Crimea, having been built shortly after the Crimea War.

All that empty unwanted housing. What about the homeless and refugees. They need accommodation.

It was only an observation. Homelessness and immigration was an issue even when I was younger.
Still you're probably a Snowflake anyway but your still entitled to your opinion whether I concur or not.
I was doing this stuff back in the 70's, unfortunately I have no evidence as if you were caught, by the gremlins they used to expose your films so taking a camera wasn't a real option.
I did sometimes borrow a dog to give me a "valid excuse" although trying to explain to a copper that a little terrier dragged 6' 2" and 16 stone moi into a place I shouldn't be wasn't always tenable.
A dog like a terrier can usually find a way in if needed. Stopping them from barking was a bit harder.
Great site well worth following. Frugal Fred

It was only an observation. Homelessness and immigration was an issue even when I was younger.
Still you're probably a Snowflake anyway but your still entitled to your opinion whether I concur or not.
I was doing this stuff back in the 70's, unfortunately I have no evidence as if you were caught, by the gremlins they used to expose your films so taking a camera wasn't a real option.
I did sometimes borrow a dog to give me a "valid excuse" although trying to explain to a copper that a little terrier dragged 6' 2" and 16 stone moi into a place I shouldn't be wasn't always tenable.
A dog like a terrier can usually find a way in if needed. Stopping them from barking was a bit harder.
Great site well worth following. Frugal Fred
Do you reckon the Ukrainian refugees will enjoy Rwanda, or do they not send white people there?

Sorry for late reply, totally missed your comment, joined '82 did 6 yrs. I was on guard duty. Shame it's all been knocked down now
Thanks for the info. Obviously some accommodation buildings will be come 'time expired'. I'm thinking of the terrace of other ranks married quarters at Longmoor named after one of the Boer War battles. Curiously, these early 20th century basically laid out houses were younger than the London W4 road of Victorian houses and maisonettes where my wife and I lived for 29 years. The latter are there, very much modernised which proves their viability. I'm sure Buller Barracks could have had similar treatment.

Back