Cadishead Viaduct 1122

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bignickb

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
After finding out that it was accessible again, I curtailed down there hoping that it hadn't been resealed already! It hadn't but I still needed some ninja moves to get up there and finally get onto the track decking. My first failed try was back in 2009, so it was a satisfying day!

Initially there was a lower bridge which the remnants of which still remain on the south side. But the ships on the canal got bigger and needed more headroom, so in 1892 the Cheshire Lines Committee constructed a high level multi lattice girder viaduct to feed to the Woodley Main Line! Passenger traffic resumed in May 1893.

They ended in 1964 and rising costs to keep the line working caused the closure in the 1980's!

The empty bridge became a battle ground for youths who came from the north and the south, unfortunately it went from fisticuffs to a stabbing! So shipping containers were placed on both sides to stop anyone crossing. Unless they were skilled rope climbers of course and that hasn't occurred for a long time!

I got lucky and I'm so glad for it!

That's really quite photogenic!

just looked at the streetvews, fk they really don't want u on there do they lol

strange really they dont just deck it & open it!
There is a similar bridge in Grappenhall! Also long closed, sadly these bridges are suicide hot spots so they try to keep people away.

Awesome pictures. What an incredible piece of pre-welding machine ironwork. Nice writeup.

Back