Camel hill receiver site & Marston Magna ROC Post - Sept 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saz123

Reaction score
Camel hill receiver site was a navy base and was associated with the RNAS Yeovilton, Somerset. I am not sure on too much of the history of the place, although I think it was relocated to the actual RNAS base in Yeovilton a few years ago now.

Within meters of the receiver site the ROC post was situated in the corner of the field, it had a padlock on it although it wasn't locked properly so we were able to get in easily enough. Inside the bunker itself, it was quite dark and was flooded with about 2 inches of water throughout, although the place looked fairly untouched with ancient bottles of soap and even a pot of vaseline covered thick in dust still left standing.

P8296109.jpg

P8296107.jpg

P8296118.jpg

P8296111.jpg

P8296113.jpg

P8296119.jpg

tin opener...
P8296115.jpg

P8296114.jpg

P8296120.jpg

P8296122.jpg

P8296123.jpg

P8296124.jpg

P8296126.jpg

& on to Camel Hill...

P8296105.jpg

P8296104.jpg

P8296103.jpg

P8296101.jpg

P8296100.jpg

P8296099.jpg

P8296097.jpg

P8296095.jpg

P8296094.jpg

P8296093.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Good report...although this site seems to be missing the obligatory lime cordial.

I have driven past that aerial site more times than I can remember. Didn't realise it was now disused. Good report - well done :)

I'm no expert but.....
The smaller aerial array looks as though it might be VLF - which might, IF that was correct, be the kind of thing that was used for communicating with submarines. The bigger mast is not dissimilar to those used by NATS for air traffic purposes, which again would correspond to the sites original function
Anyway - just an idea, put up to be shot down.....:)
GDZ

I'm no expert but.....
The smaller aerial array looks as though it might be VLF - which might, IF that was correct, be the kind of thing that was used for communicating with submarines. The bigger mast is not dissimilar to those used by NATS for air traffic purposes, which again would correspond to the sites original function
Anyway - just an idea, put up to be shot down.....:)
GDZ

Its possible GZ, your submarine theory. The site is near RNAS Yeovilton so there could be a connection. There may have been exercises between the base aircraft and submarines. Not far from the English Channel here. FRADU (Fleet Requirement And Directions Unit) aircraft did and still fly from Yeovilton. They work closely with the Navy and act as simulated missiles so the ships can have a go at defending against such attacks. So does anyone have a definitive answer with regards to the aerials function :confused:

Nice on saz! What a strange addition to the vent shaft for the GZI mount? Very odd, i wouldnt fancy changing the papers in that!

Camel hill receiver site was a navy base and was associated with the RNAS Yeovilton, Somerset. I am not sure on too much of the history of the place, although I think it was relocated to the actual RNAS base in Yeovilton a few years ago now.

Within meters of the receiver site the ROC post was situated in the corner of the field, it had a padlock on it although it wasn't locked properly so we were able to get in easily enough. Inside the bunker itself, it was quite dark and was flooded with about 2 inches of water throughout, although the place looked fairly untouched with ancient bottles of soap and even a pot of vaseline covered thick in dust still left standing.

Thanks for looking! :)
Nice report and photo's guy's. I've been passed here loads of time on the way to the west country and wondered what this place was, now I know.
Thank goodness for active "Derelict" people who get their hands a feet dirty.☺

Back