Cannington Viaduct, Uplyme, Devon.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm is this near the cycle trail going up to Meavy?

Hi Peter
Wrong part of Devon. Meavy's near Yelverton on Dartmoor? The viaduct's half way between Seaton, Devon and Lyme Regis in Dorset, near Uplyme.
If you google for viaducts in Devon there are quite a few. I think there's one near Okehampton and a couple in South Devon, nearer to Plymouth.

Cheers :)

I've slid down the grassy slopes at either end of the viaduct on my arse several times.:) Nice post. I was thinking of having another look at this, I haven't been there for ages and I've got a few friends who'd be up for checking it out.

I was thinking of having another look at this, I haven't been there for ages and I've got a few friends who'd be up for checking it out.

Would you like to give me a shout if you do? I've been meaning to get back out there myself and brave going across it. :eek: Shapwick Grange quarry is just a short walk down the lane too, which is a brilliant site with all the workings still there...you might want to check it out at the same time. :)

interests me how they would make something like that out of concrete! maybe they used those square protruding bits at the top of each column to hold up the wooden shuttering 'mould' for the arches, but just guessing:)
looks an impressive thing:)

Sorry I'm late in replying to your posts guys.
Kaputnik, that's an interesting thought. I wondered what those square blocks were for as they didn't really look like decoration as such. Damn good idea that! :mrgreen:
Underitall, please do. Give me a shout if you want to meet up, but in any case it'll be good to see your pics of it too. :)
Reddwarf, I'm glad someone else is paying attention! I nearly missed these posts. :lol:

Hey again FL, is it easy...enough to get to via a walk from the main line of the X53? Do you know...Ill have a look at the route on flash earth!

EDIT:
They stop closest to there at:
Lyme Regis Square 0649 0853 ---- 1053 ---- 1253 ---- 1453 1653 1753
Rousdon Garage 0657 0901 ---- 1101 ---- 1301 ---- 1501 1701 ----
Which one do you thinkll be best, Bearing in mind, the times it leaves are at:
Weymouth King's Statue [K4] dep 0520 0720 ---- 0915 1015 1115 1215 1315 1515 1615?
And i can sort out getting back alrite, no worries about that, thanks.

Last edited:
Just saw this thread. That's a nice structure indeed.
thumbup.png

and...I am absolutely stark-raving terrified of heights. Just the thought of it makes my toes curl! :eek: :lol:

I can sympathise with that - I'm not over keen of artificial heights (natural ones are OK for some reason :confused:)

Got some pictures from last week I must post later .....;)

Last edited:
Hey again FL, is it easy...enough to get to via a walk from the main line of the X53? Do you know...Ill have a look at the route on flash earth!

I wasn't sure how easy it would be from the main road when I went, so I took the bus to Lyme then another to Uplyme and walked a couple of miles to the site, but once there I realised it's only a short walk to the main road, so Rousden will be your best bet. The only drawback is a walk back along a fairly busy road for about a mile, so it's a case of being careful, but that's what I'll do when I go next.

That is one cool viaduct. The jack arch, because of the subsidence, rather spoils the symmetry though. Get up on top please. I look forward to seeing the views from up there.

Nice work Foxy. The Lyme Regis Branch was a latecomer to the railway scene and Cannington Viaduct was the major egineering structure on the branch. Is it a listed structure Foxy?

Is it a listed structure Foxy?

I honestly don't know, norwich. I have been back since on a visit with Underitall but didn't post any pics. We tried getting on top but were confronted by a huge metal fence. Underitall managed to get through but he said that it was so overgrown he couldn't get very far, although I think he managed one photo from the top. :mrgreen:

The reason for the metal gate is that some of the concrete parapet is starting to come away according to one of my books. The same can be said of Hockley Viaduct on the Southampton and Dorchester line at Winchester.

Ah, that would explain it then. I thought at the time what a shame that it hadn't been turned into a pedestrian or cycle path. Cheers for the info, norwich. :)

Heres a few from me...

from up top, looking West I think.

As fas as I could go, without crawling along the edge!
dsc0075g.jpg

And a nit of a Pano.
dsc004756pano.jpg

Brill to see those pics taken from the top. :mrgreen: Cheers, underitall. That's great. :)
Thanks for the link, marty. Are you planning a visit there? Be great to see photos/write-up if you do. :)

Three of mine from that visit. The first one showing a steep drop, which was either side of the entrance onto the bridge itself. That was the nearest I could bring myself to get to it! :eek::mrgreen:

cannington203.jpg

And two distant views of the viaduct.

cannington204crop.jpg

cannington205crop.jpg

Latest posts

Back