Cannington Viaduct, Uplyme, Devon.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylady

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Opened in 1903 for the Axminster to Lyme Regis branch line, this 600ft long viaduct was the first in the UK to be built in solid concrete. Unfortunately, subsidence was discovered between two of the arches and the builders had to reinforce inside the arch. The line was closed in 1965 during the Beeching cuts.
Went out there today to have a look and take some pics. It's quite bizarre because it's just sitting there in the middle of the countryside with nothing to do, and to be honest I found it a bit spooky, even though I really like bridges. :eek: :D
Anyway, hope you enjoy the photos. :)

quarry02.jpg

quarry01.jpg

quarry07.jpg

quarry05.jpg

Before anyone starts singing about reindeers called Rudolph and the colour red, I have to tell you it was absolutely freezing out there! ;)

quarry06dp.jpg

quarry08.jpg

quarry03.jpg

quarry04.jpg

Cheers :)

I think this viaduct is quite spectacular and as you say its just standing in the middle of fields doing absolutely nothing. As you drive down the very narrow lane it suddenly appears unexpectedly in front of you and looks quite awsome. Good photos Foxy.

Its great, such a shame that its just sitting there it realy looks like it should have a use - but I supose with subsidence its future doesnt look bright

Can you not get on top and walk along it

I had a friend who lived in Cumbria and their was a viaduct near her house, she used to ride her horse across it

nice pics

Can you not get on top and walk along it

Yeh, I've seen some pics taken on the top from other websites, and I did intend to try, but...it was quite a trek to where I presumed you could get onto it, and...I am absolutely stark-raving terrified of heights. Just the thought of it makes my toes curl! :eek: :lol:

I like the arch within an arch... whats all that about then?

Oh yeah i've just read that bit now :lol: It does look good!

Yeh, I've seen some pics taken on the top from other websites, and I did intend to try, but...it was quite a trek to where I presumed you could get onto it, and...I am absolutely stark-raving terrified of heights. Just the thought of it makes my toes curl! :eek: :lol:

yep I would say thats a good reason not to go on the top:exclaim: :lol:

What a place for abseil training, I wonder if there is anything you can secure a few ropes to at the top?

S

Great report there Foxy! :)

Real crazy how there's a brick arch giving support to the concrete :rolleyes:
Just goes to show that brick beats concrete anytime!! :mrgreen: (and it looks nicer too me thinks!)
Thanks for sharing.
Hope that all's well with you at the mo :)

Lb:cool:

Yup, all's fine this end, if rather busy. Too much to do, not enough time -the usual! :confused:

A good "little" find is this viaduct! ;)
Did you find it spooky because you saw a ghost train?!! :mrgreen::lol::p

Lb:cool:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :lol:
Actually, directly above each column there's a space in the parapet with what looks like bars or a metal grille of some sort. Ideal, by the look of it.

Might be a good place to teach any of you budding people out there that want to learn to abseil. Always looking for a new place to jump off. :)

Back