Capel, Lydden Spout and West Hougham Batteries

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aliichuk

Reaction score
I am a newly registered user who has lived in Capel Le Ferne for the past year after retiring from South London
so big hello to all.
I am compiling a photo book of images relating to these batteries for my sister to take to the brother of a Newfoundland soldier stationed at these batteries in WW2 when she visits there in mid May.
The soldier was unfortunatly killed in an RTA in Ashford two days before he was due to return home to Newfoundland.
He is buried in Ashford cemetary,

To this end I have taken images of the remains of these batteries but what I really think would be of more interest to the surviving brother, he is 86YO, are images and maps from the time his brother would have been there i.e. WW2.

As said I can find a lot of images of the sites in their present condition but I have problems finding images of the completed installations from the period or maps showing the layouts of the sites. Can anyone help?

Additionally, there is a property in Old Dover Road, Capel titled London House. I have spoken to the,I beleive, owner who tells me that during that period the property was used to collate battery information before sending to London HQ.
The proerty itself is unusual in that it seems to combine odd facades. I believe it may be from the time when Warren Halt was in use and may have been an omnibus stop/cafe for travellers using the Warren at that time. Any information regarding any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
Many customers asked me what I would do with myself once retired and I was honestly stuck for a genuine reply so I resorted to the usual Golf or Walking to fend them off.
Having visited these sites I have now found exactly what I shall be doing in my retirement.
Fascinating area.

Hi there,

National Records Office in Kew, or the National Monument Record in Swindon is your best bet.

There's probably a number of books with historical info in relating to those particular sites too, local libraries may carry them.

Back