Church/hut/train

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smellycat

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Went cycling on Tuesday and ended up in Invergowrie, just outside Dundee. Managed to find an old dereict church, an old fishing hut on the Tay and I also went to see the spot where a train crashed in 1979 killing 5 people....sorry for being morbed, but i just wanted to see it.

the old church

DSC02950.jpg

DSC02949.jpg

DSC02953.jpg

DSC02954.jpg

DSC02955.jpg

THE OLD FISHING HUT ON THE TAY

DSC02957.jpg

DSC02958.jpg

DSC02962.jpg

DSC02963.jpg

DSC02965.jpg

This is the photo of the train crash which took place in 1979. One train went into the back of another and
sent it tumbling into the bay. 5 people were killed and several injured. I remeber the crash happening when I was at school but hadnever ever been down to where it had happened...until recently

untitled.jpg

This is how it looks today

DSC02944.jpg

Hi, good report. If you are interested, you may wish to have a look at this site:

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/widesearch.php?text=Invergowrie+accident+report&submit=Go

You can download the official accident report which goes into great detail about the incident and the conclusions of the cause. A quick scan of it tells me that the root cause was due to the driver of the train that crashed into the stationary one misread the semaphore signal assuming the line ahead was clear, when in fact it was showing danger (due to the stationary train having suffered from locomotive failure), it also suggests that the angle of the signal may have not been fully at danger thus leading to driver error.

The report has some good drawings of the area in question.

Cheers

Good explore there Smellycat, even without me! Here's some more info from the Evening Telegraph on the same day you went to see the site!!:shocked:

Ebay08003.jpg

Ebay08.jpg

Back