Cliffe/Palmerston Fort, Cliffe, March 13

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nlumpy

Reaction score
Our last visit of the day brought us to Cliffe Fort. After traipsing through a waterlogged field with much moaning from the others, (whatever happened to British stoicism?) we reached our destination.

Full history can be found online but here is its background in brief:
Built in the 1860's this fort is currently on land owned by a well known construction company. It was built to defend from invasion via the Thames and was armed with gigantic rifled muzzle loading guns. In 1890, a Brennan Torpedo station was added to the site, with the launch railings still partially intact to this day. Apparently it was armed during WW1 and then used as an anti-aircraft battery in WW2.

After wandering round the outside of the fort, our morale was low as it was completely waterlogged and any access appeared to be blocked by huge sand piles. After talking to two construction workers we were told we weren't getting in but were free to walk round the exterior of the building. Do not fear guys, thanks to others before us and minor physical exertion (i'm not too tall) we managed to get some lovely photos for you. Granted my camera had decided it had had enough so any shots were taken with haste. I did loose a rather good panoramic video unfortunately when the batteries finally went.

Sorry for the amount of photos guys it's my first post and so I got rather excited!

A long walk alongside a very much working construction site

DSCF0866_zps209dff8f.jpg

As you can see things were a little wet (should have brought wellies)

DSCF0868_zpsfddb95f6.jpg

Our first glimpse of the fort

DSCF0869_zpsfc50caaa.jpg

As you can see it's surrounded by diggers and sand

DSCF0871_zpscf59e014.jpg

Not sure if it's always this wet or if recent weather exacerbated things

DSCF0874_zpsf9c738a0.jpg

Peeking through a window

DSCF0878_zps7f414646.jpg

Things are beginning to look up

DSCF0879_zps4fd7487c.jpg

Pretty well defended

DSCF0880_zpsb3026b30.jpg

More external shots

DSCF0883_zps9987e26f.jpg

Hans Egede

DSCF0885_zpsa09366e3.jpg

We made some friends :)

DSCF0887_zps277c048b.jpg

Torpedo launch

DSCF0891_zpsd82f811d.jpg

Now how on Earth did we get up here?

DSCF0895_zps796dea4f.jpg

DSCF0896_zpsdb5c916e.jpg

DSCF0898_zps91e54d77.jpg

DSCF0900_zpse83cbb8d.jpg

DSCF0902_zps7a9d8880.jpg

Stairs have seen better days

DSCF0903_zps0651cf41.jpg

DSCF0905_zpsdfc490ca.jpg

Now for the long walk home in torrential rain :(

Thanks for viewing :)

Thanks for posting but please restrict your photos to the site you are exploring rather than builders equipment etc. next time.

Some lovely images there but you look like you had an awful day for it.

I didthis place a few years back and its cirtainly a walk!!!

Never did work out how to get down to the bottom level though.

I'm not entirely sure. From what I can remember the ones nearer the top weren't as curved so it my be due to use over time. However I could be entirely wrong haha.

Latest posts

Back