Coed y Lan School Pontypridd : March 2013

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norman

Reaction score
Hello! Not a newbie as such, but haven’t been here in aaaaages! Recently invested in my first DSLR, and thought it’s about time that I get involved in the exploring ‘scene’ again.

So I was up in Pontypridd picking up an ebay purchase when I remembered reading about the derelict ‘Coed y Lan’ school. Bit of a tame explore, didn't enter any of the main buildings.

"Built in 1893-4 by Arthur O Evans, architect of Pontypridd and opened in 1896 as the County School. The school was built in the wake of the 1889 Welsh Intermediate Education Act, and cost over £1000 raised by subscription. It was designed for both boys and girls, who had separate entrances. Additions were made to the school almost as soon as it was open, of which the present science block and gymnasium were built in 1910. The science block contained 3 laboratories, a demonstration room, and stores.
It became the Intermediate School in 1911 and in 1913 the girls left for a separate school at Glyntaff (also by A O Evans). After 1945 it was the Pontypridd Boys Grammar School, until 1973 when it became a comprehensive school [ Coed y Lan ].
coflein.gov.uk

"APPLICANT: Andgreen Properties Ltd
DEVELOPMENT: Redevelopment for housing, comprising the alteration
and conversion of existing listed buildings and the erection of new building.
DATE REGISTERED: 24/05/2011"
rctcbc.gov.uk

Photos;

As you can see, completely smashed to bits, with anything of value that could be taken long gone. Strange to think how busy those corridors and walkways must have been 'back in the day'.

Latest posts

Back