Colchester Garrison

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rockhopper;13872; said:
Our office is currently working on a new building for the MOD up there. Unfortunatly i'm not working on it but its got to have special blast proof glazing and we can't have cars parked within a certain distance etc.

G'day to ya RH,

I'm guessing that working for the MOD must be a little different from your average construction project. Blast proof glass eh? -I reckon all abandoned buildings should have their windows fitted with this stuff -then let's see the Chavs try to break that!!! :D;) Ta for the info.

Lb:cool:

P.s. -any chance you'd be able to arrange a tour of some of the old barracks which are no longer in use? Would love to get some interior shots before demo, or if converted, then get some afterwards -like a before / after conversion. Feel free to PM me. Thanks.

saul_son;13948; said:
Nice, good to see some photos.

My Grandad was based/trained there during WW2 before and after which he worked at Severalls! It's a shame he isn't around to tell me about his experiences as he died when I was only one.

Hello Saul Son,

Thanks very much for sharing your story with us. As the well known phrase says "it's a small world"!! I've met a number of people by chance who used to work at Severalls. It's a real shame that a lot (but not all) of today's youngsters don't give older people the respect that they deserve. Just think about how much knowledge and how many memories they have. It's like reading a history book, but it's living history, from people who were actually there! My Grandfather died when I was young too, and I would have loved to have heard his memories of working down coal mines. Do you know what your Grandad did when he worked at Severalls?

Lightbuoy;13981; said:
Hello Saul Son,

Thanks very much for sharing your story with us. As the well known phrase says "it's a small world"!! I've met a number of people by chance who used to work at Severalls. It's a real shame that a lot (but not all) of today's youngsters don't give older people the respect that they deserve. Just think about how much knowledge and how many memories they have. It's like reading a history book, but it's living history, from people who were actually there! My Grandfather died when I was young too, and I would have loved to have heard his memories of working down coal mines. Do you know what your Grandad did when he worked at Severalls?

Thanks, He was a Medical Orderly apparently.

Excellant report LB...I stayed here in 1978 whilst getting ready to go to Germany on exercise...those pics where the barracks have green netting round sure brought back memories...many thanx for rekindling them...by the way this is Stuart replying not Chelle!:mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back