Coleshill Auxiliary Operations Base May 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godzilla73

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This OB (Operations Base) is not open to the public generally, though you can get to see it on some open days etc. The Auxilliary was effectively the secret commando wing of the Home Guard. Suitable individuals were selected from their Home Guard Units and sent to Coleshill, a stately home on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders. There they were trained in Sabotage techniques, explosives, silent killing and a whole host of other skills with a view to disrupting any possible German invasion plans. Most interesting of all was the training they received to build and use the OB's and Zero stations (see a good report Newage did on one of these a while back), which were small underground bunkers in which four to six Auxilliary operatives could hole up for two weeks, with a shed load of food, weapons and explosives and orchestrate merry hell if the Panzers ever arrived.This one at Coleshill was the blueprint from which several hundred others were built (some of which are still around, such as the ones in Sussex). The Auxilliary was set up by Colin Gubbins, who after his experiences at Coleshill, set up the SOE, which did exactly the same sort of thing all over Occupied Europe.

First the Guardhouse, which is quite large, because the guard presence was significant. Coleshill was top secret and the Army wanted it to remain that way. it is surround by huge yew trees which were pegged back while it was built and then released so that it would be invisible from the air.

IMG_9923.jpg

IMG_9924.jpg

IMG_9926.jpg

IMG_9937.jpg

IMG_9874.jpg

Now the OB itself. In the first picture, you can see both the current door, which actually wasn't there originally, in the foreground, and the entrance hatch in the background. The hatch is where the operatives would have entered. If they needed to escape a hand grenade being shoved down it they would have egressed by an escape passage which went through where the door now is. There is also a flue for fumes to escape when food was cooked.
IMG_9920.jpg

IMG_9894.jpg

IMG_9899.jpg

IMG_9900.jpg

Inside the OB - the main living accommodation is in the front, where you can see the remains of a bunk. The kitchen and toilet were at the back.
IMG_9911.jpg

IMG_9912.jpg

IMG_9916.jpg

IMG_9904.jpg

IMG_9903.jpg

An interesting place (if a little cramped), giving a good insight into "Britains secret Army"
More pics at http://s336.photobucket.com/albums/n353/mechagodzilla73/Coleshill%20Auxilliary%20Operations%20Base/
Enjoy! :mrgreen:
Godzy

NICE ONE GODZY !!.....and no mud.The only one of these things that i have seen was the zero stn at Hollingbourne and that was SQUELCHILICIOUS !! I never knew that the Guard House still existed at Coleshill.I wouldn't mind finding some more of these,after all most are fairly local (Sussex/Surrey/Kent/Essex)The only thing that puts me orf are those BLOODY spiders. !!!

Heh, heh! Not much spider action in this one Fluff, though it did have the odd bat apparently!:mrgreen:
The Zero Stations were like this in design, but were for female Radio operators - I may have this wrong though, as I was distracted by manoeuvering through the extremely small hatch when I was being told about it!

It was used to train the HG. they had to meet at Highworth post office, then they were transported to Coleshill House. It is now sealed full of Bats.

Further down in the village there is a replica, that is what they open. There is still more unfound things there. I helped consult the trust to location back in the 90's.

Back