Colleyweston bomb store (RAF Wittering), Northants, July 2022

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a place i first visited about 10 years ago, and I was on my way back from a meeting in Derby and thought I might swing by for a quick look as it was such a nice sunny day. My first exploration wearing a suit and tie, not the most appropriate attire for clambering through brambles and bushes.

The History

Collyweston was originally set up in WW1 around 1916, next to the Stamford airfield (which later developed into RAF Wittering which is still an operating RAF base). It started off as a Training Depot Station (TDS) for the then Royal Flying Corps (later RAF), and was the first unit set up dedicated to training new pilots prior to them being into battle. The airfield was closed at the end of WW1 in 1918.

The base was reopened during WW2 in 1940 with a grass landing strip as a satellite to the now named RAF Wittering. In 1943, due to a high number of landing accidents at Wittering, the runways of Collyweston and Wittering were merged, giving Wittering a much longer 3 mile, well-lit, runway capable of taking crippled heavy bombers. After that, Collyweston ceased to function as an operational base however was used as the home of the famous 1426 Enemy Aircraft Flight (nicknamed the RAFwaffe) which flew captured captured German aircraft (see belowFokke Wulf 190 left and Junkers JU88 right) in RAF markings from Collyweston.

CH_015610.jpg

After the end of the war, Collyweston was again shut down and absorbed into RAF Wittering.

In 1955, the site was turned into a remote weapons store for RAF Wittering, for storage of bombs and other ordnance, although none of the weapons stored there were nuclear (as reported on some of the youtube videos).

The site is laid out as below (stolen from google earth) and is split out into different areas as highlighted and explained below.

Aerial shot.jpg

The site was decommissioned in 1995 and is sat still awaiting “adaptive Reuse”. Although not still actively patrolled, it still technically remains an active military site and is to some extent maintained still.
The site is completely surrounded by high fences but access is easy enough, and it was for the first couple of hours a very relaxed explore until I had the absolute **** scared out of me by a maintenance team who came to cut the grass, the first I knew about it was when a petrol strimmer fired up about 5 metres away from me.

The blue area on the aerial above is the site main entrance, consisting of the remains of a pillbox, a guard house, power sub station and some form of office. These buildings are empty now, but are a slowly mouldering away wirh some lovely peeling paint.
IMG_4069.jpg
IMG_4073.jpg

IMG_4071.jpg
IMG_4067.jpg

The orange area in the aerial picture above consists of 10 near identical buildings which were used for bomb maintenance (I didn’t realise how much maintenance a bomb requires). Inside is a mass of cable inuslation (where the copper wire has been stripped out for scrap), graffiti and general rubbish. It is interestingto see that the pulleus and lifting gear is still in place for lifting and maintaining the bombs.
IMG_4050.jpg

IMG_4053.jpg
IMG_4055.jpg

As you move into the larger site, (the green area to the top of the aerial picture, or on the right as you are walking in there are 3 rows of 10 “Dutch barn” storage areas (of which one row is nearly entirely flattened), used to store BL755 Cluster Bombs. These are big, about 10m wide by 25m long, with asbestos roofing and millions of pigeons.

IMG_4029.jpg
IMG_4028.jpg
IMG_4030.jpg

The red area in the aerial photo above used to have storage units for 1000lb high explosive bombs, but these have all been flattened., so I havent bothered with photos of this. The purple highlighted area in the aerial shot has 3 storage unts for 68mm SNEB rockets (unguided air to ground pod rockets usually fired from helicopters, or in this case from Harrier Jump Jets, as used in the Falklands conflict). These are still standing and are in relatively good condition, with a steel framed structure insulated concrete walls and sliding doors. Either side of each structure are concrete and earth shields, presumably as some form of blast protection.

IMG_4034.jpg
IMG_4035.jpg
IMG_4037.jpg

Finally, the yellow highlighted area in the aerial picture (at the bottom of the picture, or on the left as you come in the site) consists of 9 concrete sunken shelters called “igloos” which have filtered air and power supplied to them. I have not been able to work out what was stored in these, but assume something big and scary. These are unfortunately all securely locked up and have been heavily graffitied, some very skillfully I might add. The first two photos show them from behind, and then in front.

IMG_4042.jpg
IMG_4043.jpg

IMG_4046.jpg
IMG_4047.jpg

I particularly liked this big rabbit.
IMG_4048.jpg

Last edited:
From what I can tell the 'Igloos' were for nuclear weapons storage, as Lakenheath and other bases near me store the same in there.
Could be wrong though ;)

This site is now in private hands and works have commenced to bring it back into use. Anyone who knows the site will realise from the front gate and new fencing that it is no longer accessible. Although it has been disused for 25 years or so, this is no longer the case and so visiting and gaining access is certainly not recommended.

This is a place i first visited about 10 years ago, and I was on my way back from a meeting in Derby and thought I might swing by for a quick look as it was such a nice sunny day. My first exploration wearing a suit and tie, not the most appropriate attire for clambering through brambles and bushes.

The History

Collyweston was originally set up in WW1 around 1916, next to the Stamford airfield (which later developed into RAF Wittering which is still an operating RAF base). It started off as a Training Depot Station (TDS) for the then Royal Flying Corps (later RAF), and was the first unit set up dedicated to training new pilots prior to them being into battle. The airfield was closed at the end of WW1 in 1918.

The base was reopened during WW2 in 1940 with a grass landing strip as a satellite to the now named RAF Wittering. In 1943, due to a high number of landing accidents at Wittering, the runways of Collyweston and Wittering were merged, giving Wittering a much longer 3 mile, well-lit, runway capable of taking crippled heavy bombers. After that, Collyweston ceased to function as an operational base however was used as the home of the famous 1426 Enemy Aircraft Flight (nicknamed the RAFwaffe) which flew captured captured German aircraft (see belowFokke Wulf 190 left and Junkers JU88 right) in RAF markings from Collyweston.

View attachment 518840

After the end of the war, Collyweston was again shut down and absorbed into RAF Wittering.

In 1955, the site was turned into a remote weapons store for RAF Wittering, for storage of bombs and other ordnance, although none of the weapons stored there were nuclear (as reported on some of the youtube videos).

The site is laid out as below (stolen from google earth) and is split out into different areas as highlighted and explained below.

View attachment 518820

The site was decommissioned in 1995 and is sat still awaiting “adaptive Reuse”. Although not still actively patrolled, it still technically remains an active military site and is to some extent maintained still.
The site is completely surrounded by high fences but access is easy enough, and it was for the first couple of hours a very relaxed explore until I had the absolute **** scared out of me by a maintenance team who came to cut the grass, the first I knew about it was when a petrol strimmer fired up about 5 metres away from me.

The blue area on the aerial above is the site main entrance, consisting of the remains of a pillbox, a guard house, power sub station and some form of office. These buildings are empty now, but are a slowly mouldering away wirh some lovely peeling paint.
View attachment 518823 View attachment 518821
View attachment 518822 View attachment 518824

The orange area in the aerial picture above consists of 10 near identical buildings which were used for bomb maintenance (I didn’t realise how much maintenance a bomb requires). Inside is a mass of cable inuslation (where the copper wire has been stripped out for scrap), graffiti and general rubbish. It is interestingto see that the pulleus and lifting gear is still in place for lifting and maintaining the bombs.
View attachment 518828
View attachment 518827View attachment 518826

As you move into the larger site, (the green area to the top of the aerial picture, or on the right as you are walking in there are 3 rows of 10 “Dutch barn” storage areas (of which one row is nearly entirely flattened), used to store BL755 Cluster Bombs. These are big, about 10m wide by 25m long, with asbestos roofing and millions of pigeons.

View attachment 518838View attachment 518839View attachment 518837

The red area in the aerial photo above used to have storage units for 1000lb high explosive bombs, but these have all been flattened., so I havent bothered with photos of this. The purple highlighted area in the aerial shot has 3 storage unts for 68mm SNEB rockets (unguided air to ground pod rockets usually fired from helicopters, or in this case from Harrier Jump Jets, as used in the Falklands conflict). These are still standing and are in relatively good condition, with a steel framed structure insulated concrete walls and sliding doors. Either side of each structure are concrete and earth shields, presumably as some form of blast protection.

View attachment 518836View attachment 518835View attachment 518834

Finally, the yellow highlighted area in the aerial picture (at the bottom of the picture, or on the left as you come in the site) consists of 9 concrete sunken shelters called “igloos” which have filtered air and power supplied to them. I have not been able to work out what was stored in these, but assume something big and scary. These are unfortunately all securely locked up and have been heavily graffitied, some very skillfully I might add. The first two photos show them from behind, and then in front.

View attachment 518833View attachment 518832
View attachment 518831View attachment 518830

I particularly liked this big rabbit.
View attachment 518829

This site is now in private hands and works have commenced to bring it back into use. Anyone who knows the site will realise from the front gate and new fencing that it is no longer accessible. Although it has been disused for 25 years or so, this is no longer the case and so visiting and gaining access is certainly not recommended.
What exactly are they going to do with it?

OK Chaps - Colley Weston Bomb Dump 58 - 65. Colley Weston was never a nuclear storage area. It was the Bomb Dump for RAF Wittering and stocked the Unit's total complement of Conventional 1000 lbs HE Bombs. In the 60's the bomb dump was as per the plan shown. There were two other Bomb Dumps also at Wittering, Vigo Wood and Rogue Sale. Vigo Wood was the Nuclear Bomb Dump which was called S S A - B C A S or B C D U, depending upon which era you are referring to. Rogue Sale was the bomb fuzing area and stored a variety of explosives and pyrotechnic devices, all of which went into servicing the aircraft, such as cockpit canopy detonators to jettison the aircraft's canopy, ejection seat cartridges, signal cartridges, small arms ammunition, and various fuzing components for the bombs. None of the additional buildings that you refer to existed at that time. They were added during the Harrier period and none of them would have held such highly classified weapons as the Nuclear variety. Starting at the gates; on the right was a Piquet Post for the RAF Police to Control Entry. On the left was the Picquet Post which later controlled entry to the site and was run by the Armourers themselves after the RAF Police handed over that responsibility. The Picquet Post housed a small telephone communications system via a small telephone exchange and most importantly was responsible for the, Control of Contraband. Contraband was the term used to identify cigarettes, matches, lighters, food and drink, which were all banned inside of the site. They had to be secured in locked boxes painted red and only opened in authorised area, such as the Rest Room. The buildings running up the "Main Road" of the site housed many of the multitude of accessories that were required for loading conventional weapons to the Valiant aircraft. I can only recall what some of the buildings housed as it was so long ago. The first building on the right contained the Bomb Bay Adapters which allowed the Valiant to carry its weapons in tiers. The adjacent building was the general office which housed the administration and the Chiefs [ a Warrant Officer plus a number of SNCO's ] who ran the complex and a Crew Room / Tea Room cum Smoking Room. It was only here that the appropriate keys were available for the Red Contraband Boxes to be opened. Also stored in that building were the many records of servicing for the respective items stored at the site. Moving on up the road, the other buildings were used for servicing the five store Bomb Carriers - Bomb Release Slips - Bomb Trolley Servicing, which took up two buildings and the others were all connected with servicing and storing the types of equipment shown. Proceeding further up the road past all of the buildings, the main road opened out into a numerous other roads. These smaller roads wove their way around the Bomb Bays which stored the H E 1000 lbs Bombs. So there you have it Folks! Attached are some images to illustrate the many points covered.

Images.
1. Genral plan showing original layout in the 50 / 60 era.
2. Entry to Colley Weston Site.
3. View up the road between the buildings.
4. Interior of a typical building.
5. What went on inside one of the buildings - This is a Five Store Bomb Carrier undergoing servicing in one of those buildings.
6. Top view of a Vickers Valiant five store carrier.
7. A Standard Airfield Bomb Transporting Trolley [ S A B T ] which were serviced here.
8. A Type "F" Bomb Trolley, also serviced here.
9. A view inside of the Valiant's Bomb Bay, showing the bomb bay adaptors in situ, which were also stored and serviced here.
10. A typical bay of 1000 lbs bombs undergoing their triennial servicing.
11. 1000 lbs bombs fitted to a S A B T Trolley en-route to Rogue Sale for fuzing.
12. Another view of a Valiant Bomb Bay showing the lifting jack descending down into the bay. All of this equipment was serviced and stored at Colley Weston.
A group of my pals having a quick break in front of the first building on the left.
13. My Data Sheet explaining how Colley Weston and Rogue Sale worked to generate fuzed bombs and convey them to the aircraft.

Attachments

• Colley Weston 003.jpg
    Colley Weston 003.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Colley West 002.JPG
    Colley West 002.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Colley Weston 000.JPG
    Colley Weston 000.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Colley Weston HE Area 008.jpg
    Colley Weston HE Area 008.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2021-08-15 163351 2.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-15 163351 2.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • SAM_4836 2.jpg
    SAM_4836 2.jpg
    979.4 KB · Views: 0
  • SABT 0003.jpg
    SABT 0003.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 003 BombTrolley Type F Basic.jpg
    003 BombTrolley Type F Basic.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Roath Court Newport Road. 129.png
    Roath Court Newport Road. 129.png
    300.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Colley Weston HE Area 001.jpg
    Colley Weston HE Area 001.jpg
    822.3 KB · Views: 0
  • VAL_2 clutches of 5 1000 lb Bombs.JPG
    VAL_2 clutches of 5 1000 lb Bombs.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 0
  • LRM 001.jpg
    LRM 001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Colley Weston HE Area 002.jpg
    Colley Weston HE Area 002.jpg
    798.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 011eg AL 20.jpg
    011eg AL 20.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
OK Chaps - Colley Weston Bomb Dump 58 - 65. Colley Weston was never a nuclear storage area. It was the Bomb Dump for RAF Wittering and stocked the Unit's total complement of Conventional 1000 lbs HE Bombs. In the 60's the bomb dump was as per the plan shown. There were two other Bomb Dumps also at Wittering, Vigo Wood and Rogue Sale. Vigo Wood was the Nuclear Bomb Dump which was called S S A - B C A S or B C D U, depending upon which era you are referring to. Rogue Sale was the bomb fuzing area and stored a variety of explosives and pyrotechnic devices, all of which went into servicing the aircraft, such as cockpit canopy detonators to jettison the aircraft's canopy, ejection seat cartridges, signal cartridges, small arms ammunition, and various fuzing components for the bombs. None of the additional buildings that you refer to existed at that time. They were added during the Harrier period and none of them would have held such highly classified weapons as the Nuclear variety. Starting at the gates; on the right was a Piquet Post for the RAF Police to Control Entry. On the left was the Picquet Post which later controlled entry to the site and was run by the Armourers themselves after the RAF Police handed over that responsibility. The Picquet Post housed a small telephone communications system via a small telephone exchange and most importantly was responsible for the, Control of Contraband. Contraband was the term used to identify cigarettes, matches, lighters, food and drink, which were all banned inside of the site. They had to be secured in locked boxes painted red and only opened in authorised area, such as the Rest Room. The buildings running up the "Main Road" of the site housed many of the multitude of accessories that were required for loading conventional weapons to the Valiant aircraft. I can only recall what some of the buildings housed as it was so long ago. The first building on the right contained the Bomb Bay Adapters which allowed the Valiant to carry its weapons in tiers. The adjacent building was the general office which housed the administration and the Chiefs [ a Warrant Officer plus a number of SNCO's ] who ran the complex and a Crew Room / Tea Room cum Smoking Room. It was only here that the appropriate keys were available for the Red Contraband Boxes to be opened. Also stored in that building were the many records of servicing for the respective items stored at the site. Moving on up the road, the other buildings were used for servicing the five store Bomb Carriers - Bomb Release Slips - Bomb Trolley Servicing, which took up two buildings and the others were all connected with servicing and storing the types of equipment shown. Proceeding further up the road past all of the buildings, the main road opened out into a numerous other roads. These smaller roads wove their way around the Bomb Bays which stored the H E 1000 lbs Bombs. So there you have it Folks! Attached are some images to illustrate the many points covered.

Images.
1. Genral plan showing original layout in the 50 / 60 era.
2. Entry to Colley Weston Site.
3. View up the road between the buildings.
4. Interior of a typical building.
5. What went on inside one of the buildings - This is a Five Store Bomb Carrier undergoing servicing in one of those buildings.
6. Top view of a Vickers Valiant five store carrier.
7. A Standard Airfield Bomb Transporting Trolley [ S A B T ] which were serviced here.
8. A Type "F" Bomb Trolley, also serviced here.
9. A view inside of the Valiant's Bomb Bay, showing the bomb bay adaptors in situ, which were also stored and serviced here.
10. A typical bay of 1000 lbs bombs undergoing their triennial servicing.
11. 1000 lbs bombs fitted to a S A B T Trolley en-route to Rogue Sale for fuzing.
12. Another view of a Valiant Bomb Bay showing the lifting jack descending down into the bay. All of this equipment was serviced and stored at Colley Weston.
A group of my pals having a quick break in front of the first building on the left.
13. My Data Sheet explaining how Colley Weston and Rogue Sale worked to generate fuzed bombs and convey them to the aircraft.
A really worthwhile description of the site. And the photos expand the words.

Latest posts

Back