Crookham Court.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu8fish

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Crookham Court School has featured on here many times. The history is well known so I shall not repeat it here. I have visited here 4 times since the summer. The first two visits were on consecutive days as there was a wealth of things to see and I did not visit the outbuildings until late in the first day not realising what and excellent additional bit of an explore they were.:(
A short visit on a clear night whilst traveling home from a family visit allowed a brief but interesting wander around the grounds after dark. Finally a day trip with Brickworks in january.
The recent trip was my first and only time whilst exploring that I have needed to run. I don't do running but fortunately the man with the chainsaw was inattentive and missed my fat bloke wobble as I bounded across the front lawn.:arghh: Since the early reports on here the site has been well trashed and some of the features are now gone. Some of the bannister tops have been ripped off, the fireplaces torn out and some of the windows pointlessly smashed and the mirror shattered. :(
Whatever your view about the sordid history that this place has the news appears to be that the site will be redeveloped. Part of the main building will be demolished and the materials re used to make good some of the other structures. Expensive apartments in the main house and the science block with other housing in the grounds.
The development is well sited next to Greenham common now a great open space, not far from Thatcham station
and Newbury.
It is unlikely the history here will reduce the multi million pound asking price for the proposed 8 bedroom mansion and other properties here.​

Here is a shamelessly copied report from John Herring a reporter for the local rag.
Although it is a lot to trawl through I believe it shows the scale and quality of the proposals so they don't flounder.

CROOKHAM House is set to begin a new chapter as long-considered plans to restore the building have now been approved.
West Berkshire councillors deferred plans submitted by Bridgewood PLC to restore the house, thought to date back to the 1850s, at a meeting in August, because of issues concerning the developer’s financial contribution to mitigate the development and the construction of more affordable housing.
The plans had been recommended for approval by officers.
Since then, a consultancy firm working on behalf of the council have confirmed Bridgewood’s view that the scheme would not be viable if provisions for developers’ contributions and affordable housing were made.
Council documents show that Bridgewood says these contributions should not be sought, owing to the extensive cost of restoring the house.
However, the company has now agreed to pay the full developers’ contribution, along with a contribution towards affordable housing.
A £113,293.88 package will be paid to the council to mitigate the impact of a residential development, while £168,936.42 will be paid if the office scheme goes ahead.
A financial contribution has also been offered towards the provision of affordable housing, allowing for one two-bedroom property and three three-bedroom properties for rent in the local area.
The council says that Bridgewood’s decision to pay the money comes as the developer is anxious to avoid further delays as Crookham House is rapidly deteriorating owing to vandalism and theft.
The council added that Bridgewood’s contribution was likely to be withdrawn if the application went to appeal as the developer would need to fund the cost of an appeal.
Speaking at a meeting of the council’s eastern area planning committee last week, planning agent Rebecca Lord argued that this plan represented the last real opportunity to restore the house and said that Bridgewood had made a significant financial investment in bringing the project forward.
Councillors granted conditional approval to the plans, with Graham Pask (Con, Bucklebury) saying: “We spent some time on this and thought it was a wonderful scheme.
“I think it’s a happy compromise.”
The developer is seeking to demolish extensions to the house, and convert the mansion into an eight-bedroom family home, or a headquarters office building, and turn a number of outbuildings into 13 smaller properties.
The application also includes redeveloping the 7.32 hectare grounds, which house a chapel, swimming pool and playing fields.
The house formed part of the notorious Crookham Court School which closed in the late 1980s after three teachers, including the owner Philip Cadman, were jailed for sexually abusing pupils.
The school buildings were later turned into flats and bedsits, but the house has stood empty since 2007 and has fallen into disrepair.

Here are a few photos.
The Corridor.
14242604767_6ff0f1b8f6_b.jpgBall. by stu8fish, on Flickr

Whites
14234896220_63b76a9e67_b.jpgWhites. by stu8fish, on Flickr
Sport

14221990067_c2353f37bf_b.jpgStumped by stu8fish, on Flickr

Clliche
14353643726_2a2a811f59_b.jpgLooking up. by stu8fish, on Flickr

14189732869_88d19fd9a7_b.jpgThey always leave the piano behind. by stu8fish, on Flickr

Punch drunk.
14396031395_e3bbe78376_b.jpgPunchbag by stu8fish, on Flickr

Reading room
14407006394_7575ef7bd1_b.jpgLibrary by stu8fish, on Flickr

14412276492_03cb6f7e3c_b.jpgTrashed by stu8fish, on Flickr

Science lab
14190235330_3fe06cacfd_b.jpgScience lab by stu8fish, on Flickr

I nearly melted in here.
14285374897_b7ecb7f0f8_b.jpgThe chapel by stu8fish, on Flickr

14236089177_bceef8d267_b.jpgChemistry set. by stu8fish, on Flickr

14296496500_9cb6d086e0_b.jpgProper English Mustard. by stu8fish, on Flickr

16061426769_c9596d6595_b.jpgBath time. by stu8fish, on Flickr

16043505749_ea396b1f8b_b.jpgShutters. by stu8fish, on Flickr

16044278160_5dedb87180_b.jpgStairway. by stu8fish, on Flickr

16044479628_20201f171c_b.jpgArch rival by stu8fish, on Flickr

Not entirely sure why the mirror broke.

16253893461_79d2a43cce_b.jpgBirthday suit. by stu8fish, on Flickr

Night visit.
16217417775_b6355bbf2f_b.jpgCrookham court. by stu8fish, on Flickr

When the property comes on the market I will register an interest. It may be a waste of the estate agents time
but hey ho. :)

It's getting very trashed but you've captured it beautifully in those pix. Love the star trails, not so keen on the arse shot.

You really think you're the first person to get naked in a derelict building and post it on a forum?

You are sadly mistaken... ;)

Great shots and nice write up too. Love the star trails and I like the different angles on your shots, esp the first photo of the green corridor.

Back