Dalton Tower, January 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likez2fly

Reaction score
So, this place has been seen (and reported on) a few times, I just thought I would pop up some pictures from a visit I made earlier this year.

History:

(Baltently piched from http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_University

On April 5, 2007, Aston University submitted a planning application for demolition of the three 1970s towers and to replace them with new student accommodation blocks as well as apartments for tutors, retail units and administrative offices. On July 5, 2007, the application was approved and work commenced in January 2008 on phase 1. This is due for completion in 2010 and will consist of two blocks of student accommodation and a car park to the rear. There is also a new artificial sports pitch with another car park beneath. The demolition of the existing towers will take place for phases 2 and 3.[40] The entire scheme is due for completion in 2014. Upon completion there will be 2,345 bedrooms in the development alone, with 650 more rooms provided at other halls such as Lakeside. All the new accommodation is to be en-suite but rooms/flats will be differentiated in terms of size and facilities in-order to provide students with a range of different priced rooms. The Aston Student Village project will cost an estimated £215 million.[41] Phase 1 is costing £57 million. Start on site date was 30/10/2008 and opened in September 2010 ready for the new term. Phase 1 buildings consist of two sections at a max height of 18 storeys with 7 and 5 ensuite bedroom apartments sharing a spacious kitchen.

Unfortunately this visit was cut a little short due to the desire of a bloke in a high vis coat wanting to play cat and mouse..... :mrgreen:

Inside, the place is pretty stripped, some appliances still stacked up awaiting removal, but not a lot else (except Bibles, lots of them!)

Thanks for looking ;)

Latest posts

Back