Denbeigh Asylum (Wales June 2016 5/9)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverendJT

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This was the Fifth site of our Welsh adventure. To go back to the beginning, click here.

History

The North Wales Lunatic Asylum was the first psychiatric institution built in Wales; construction began in 1844 and completed in 1848 in the town of Denbigh. The U-shaped Tudorbethain style hospital was built due to the spreading word of mistreatment of Welsh people in English asylums; The North Wales Hospital would be a haven for welsh speaking residents to seek treatment without prejudice or a language barrier.

Renovations and extensions were made at the hospital from 1867 until 1956, when the hospital reached its maximum capacity at 1,500 patients living inside her walls and 1,000 staff at hand. Physical treatments such as Cardiazol, malarial treatment, insulin shock treatment, and sulphur based drugs were used and developed in the 1920s and 1930s, and 1941-1942 saw the advent of electro convulsive therapy (ECT) and prefrontal leucotomy (lobotomy) treatments.

In 1960, Enoch Powell visited the North Wales Hospital, and later announced the "Hospital Plan" for England and Wales, which proposed that psychiatric care facilities be attached to general hospitals and favored community care over institutional settings. This was the beginning of the end for the North Wales Hospital and others like it; in 1987 a ten year strategy to close the hospital was formed. The North Wales Hospital was closed in sections from 1991 to 2002; most notable was the closure of the main hospital building in 1995.

On July 12, 2004, The Prince of Wales visited the hospital and administered a speech detailing his Phoenix Trust, a historic building trust that prevented the structure from being demolished. The hospital is currently slated to be converted into private homes. Asbestos abatement has started October 2008.

A book called Care and Treatment of the Mentally Ill in North Wales, 1800-2000, by Pamela Michael (2003, ISBN 0-7083-1740-5) describes the rise and fall of the North Wales Hospital from its origins in 1848 to its closure in 1995. The author uses patient case notes to discuss life in an asylum, to look at changing diagnostic and treatment patterns, and to explore the ways in which ordinary people understood and experienced mental illness. Through an examination of the ways in which disruptive behavior has been contained, she also considers the social and cultural meanings of mental illness in Wales over the past two hundred years.
The North Wales Hospital, Denbigh 1842-1995, by Clwyd Wynne (2006, ISBN 0-9550338-4-5) also documents the hospital from its beginnings to the closing in 1995. Also check out the wonderful North Wales Hospital artwork by Rachel Gadsden, which has been featured on the BBC.
Memories – North Wales Hospital Historical Society - Infamous Characters

R.O. was a 'cariad' of a man. He had been a patient in the hospital since his discharge from the army shortly after the 1st world war where he was a radio operator. Everyone who came across him could not but like him although his communication skills were limited. He had bouts when he was extremely hyperactive and noisy singing*"Black Dando" for days on end until he lost his voice and his favourite saying was "Away you silly duffer!" whenever anyone tried to*stop him doing things he shouldn't*like going into other patients' lockers to look for sweets. The stories about his escapades are legend. Has anyone got any other stories about this lovable character*who lived almost to his 90's and had sadly been in hospital for about 60-70 years when he died.

Patients who gave themselves the names Marquis of Normandy and Connah’s Quay Kid, Billy the Kid, and of course Sir Ivor. Gipsy, Wiggy, Monty, Papur Punt
Who said?
"I’d have given you a dollar if you hadn’t said that"
"Twch gyn y Twrc"
"God I’m bored, I think it’s these brown shoes."
"They’re poisoning me!"
"East Ham, West Ham, Boiled Ham"
"Ew wyt ti'n fawr"
"D'you know me, you seem to know me!!"
"I'm fit! You're not fit!"
"Away you silly duffer!"
Who sang?
"I'll walk beside you"
"She died, she did, she died of a broken rib,she did"
"Black Dando"

Explore
We had done a recce on the way from Tesco to our camp spot, so we had parking and access sussed before arrival. (I say sussed, we ended up clambering over a 7ft wall with a door 2 meters away…). This place is huge and casts an imposing shadow, especially in the early morning sun. We poked about moving through the buildings as quietly as possible, I had seen a woman going for a run (?!) so we proceeded with caution, I wanted as long as possible in here. We were slightly disappointed by how much had been stripped from here, particularly where it seemed entire floors had been removed, however there was plenty to photograph so on we went. While lagging behind the rest of my group in the small church at the top of the hill, I heard the dreaded “OI! You’re not supposed to be in here!” followed by a “Head Down” text from BigDirk. We hid for a while before deciding we were done anyway, so made our way out through the undergrowth, catching a couple of externals on the way out.

Here are the pictures.

1VNsC8rl.jpg

GUnjZrvl.jpg

IP81kFNl.jpg

nIm2jIbl.jpg

I2c9NRCl.jpg

QvB0Abdl.jpg

IvcIG4Vl.jpg

TlO25Z1l.jpg

X2e8aWJl.jpg

IMvENp9l.jpg

yxCvNlNl.jpg

TREiPqTl.jpg

rNmfvlSl.jpg

AxE17j8l.jpg

CMhaQldl.jpg

xd1jBpbl.jpg

beGqz6vl.jpg

Z88UlQZl.jpg

fTW1iVXl.jpg

FgzIEbVl.jpg

pb7w6dYl.jpg

zA97plKl.jpg

SsC1JB3l.jpg

EijxP53l.jpg

DoaTjEUl.jpg

X2I12zol.jpg

6Knosm1l.jpg

CSn7uHMl.jpg

While packing up the car, the origin of the shout pulled up beside me, all flying spittle and threats to call the Police. I thanked him for his concern for our safety as politely as I could, which only served to piss him off more.

With the Welsh anger still ringing in my ears, we moved onwards again, heading for Pool Park

Last edited:
Awesome explaining and history written here, my sister and I visited this place yesterday! It was beyond amazing and luckily we had no encounters with any security or threats. This place is amazing and it's such a shame such a beautiful building is just slowly fading away.

Amazing pictures! Can't wait to share my pictures & experience at this asylum!:)

Awesome explaining and history written here, my sister and I visited this place yesterday! It was beyond amazing and luckily we had no encounters with any security or threats. This place is amazing and it's such a shame such a beautiful building is just slowly fading away.

Amazing pictures! Can't wait to share my pictures & experience at this asylum!:)
Thanks! I wanted to share something within the history that probably hadn't been included in a report before, it's such a well documented place after all.

Back