Denbigh Mental Asylum - August 2016

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UEP-Wales

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
UEP001.png

Denbigh Mental Asylum... North Wales

IMG_3479.jpg

Getting bored this summer, we decided it would be fitting to drive around the UK on a country wide tour. Covering thousands of miles, hours worth of research and weeks of exploring non-stop, this tour has been a highlight of my exploring history.

After hitting many locations throughout South and Mid Wales, we headed North and happened to find ourselves inside Denbigh Mental Asylum... Not a clue how that happened!

DMA001.jpg

Denbigh Mental Asylum is a Grade II listed building that started it's life in 1848. It was once a small hospital that housed just 200 people however, by the early 1900's, it housed around 1500 patients and staff.

DMA01.jpg

DMA02.jpg

DMA03.jpg

Designed by architect Thomas Fulljames to originally accommodate between 60 and 200 patients, the hospital originally had its own farm and gasworks. However, planned for closure during the 1960's, it was closed in sections between 1991 and 1995.

DMA04.jpg

DMA05.jpg

DMA06.jpg

On November 2008, during work to renovate the building site and convert it to apartments, the building caught fire. It was later confirmed that the main hall of the hospital had been destroyed.

Denbigh Mental Asylum is currently on the buildings at risk register leaving Denbighshire Council no choice but to carry out repairs on the building which reached £939,000.

Despite talks of new planning permission being in place and the building having so much potential, nothing seems to actually be happening within the site. Local Police have increased patrols which was noted during our visit but this doesn't seem to prevent the local youths going onto the site to smash even more up!

DMA07.jpg

DMA08.jpg

DMA09.jpg

DMA11.jpg

DMA12.jpg

DMA13.jpg

DMA14.jpg

DMA15.jpg

DMA16.jpg

DMA17.jpg

DMA18.jpg

DMA19.jpg

DMA20.jpg

DMA21.jpg

DMA22.jpg

DMA23.jpg

DMA24.jpg

DMA25.jpg

DMA26.jpg

DMA27.jpg

DMA28.jpg

DMA29.jpg

DMA30.jpg

DMA31.jpg

DMA32.jpg

Despite not bumping into the usual wannabe security (is he even still around?!), after climbing to the highest point that I could find, it wasn't long until I got to meet the local plod. They were fairly decent to be fair and after a nice chat, we were allowed to walk out by ourselves... being happy with the fact we had seen everything we wanted too, it was time to leave.

DMA33.jpg

DMA34.jpg

With the Police seeming to follow us as we drove to the local Morrisons, it was time to leave the area, next location, back to South Wales for The Coal Exchange!​

Really dig your processing dude, its all nicely done and shows excellent contrast between each frame, Denbigh its been done to death, but its always good to see a different take on the place :)

Cheers all :)

It is a shame to see the place so screwed up and it hasn't stopped!

Read in the news this morning another roof has collapsed... won't be long until the place is just a pile of rubble!

Great images. It's really a crying shame the way this beautiful building has been left to decay to such a terrible condition. I used to go to Christmas parties there as a kid, believe it or not!

Great images. It's really a crying shame the way this beautiful building has been left to decay to such a terrible condition. I used to go to Christmas parties there as a kid, believe it or not!

Christmas parties... mental hospital... oh no I believe that! :p lol!

Cheers for the comments everybody!

Latest posts

Back