Dinorwic Slate Mine, Llanberis, North Wales, September 2020 (PICTURE HEAVY)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent collection of images. Though I have visited the sanitised part around Padarn Country Park a few times - I have still not ventured into the quarry proper. However, it is on my definite to do list for 2021.

Excellent collection of images. Though I have visited the sanitised part around Padarn Country Park a few times - I have still not ventured into the quarry proper. However, it is on my definite to do list for 2021.
Do it mate. You won't be disappointed!

Definitely not too many pics, a great guided tour. I just wonder how those workers coped in winter at that height without our modern clothing and shoes.

Epic, that was one heck of an explore, fair play for doing all that and posting it. Goats were great and the views stunning

You are very welcome. I guess it was a case of tough people coping with tough times.
The world in general was still coming out of the end of the Little Ice Age in the 19th century (personally I think it still is - hence 'global warming'). While the Welsh quarrymen were hacking away at Llanberis, all over the UK, 'navvies' were digging the cuttings, excavating the tunnels and otherwise building the country's railways; all with hand tools and hard labour. And often living in primitive temporary accommodation when doing so. And people complain today about so-called 'hard work'.

Now that report is a cracker! We did this place about 2012 and from your pix I simply can't believe how little it has changed, if at all! Even the old boots are still there in the workmen's kitchen half way up! Can you still here the Hydro machinery humming when you're near the top?

Latest posts

Back