Duke of Lancaster (Wales June 2016 7/9)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverendJT

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This was the seventh site we visited on our Welsh adventure. To go back to the beginning, click here

History

On August 10th, 1979, a former Sealink passenger ferry called “The Duke of Lancaster" was beached at Llanerch-y-Mor in North Wales with the intention of turning it into a floating leisure and retail complex called The Fun Ship but the project never achieved it’s full potential due to many long running legal disputes with the local council.
Make no bones about it, until it was converted into a car ferry she was one of the finest vessels afloat at the time. The first class quarters in the late fifties and early sixties were the best around, silver service restaurants, state rooms and luxurious cabins. In fact, the facilities and the accommodation on board Lancaster were so good she was frequently taken out of her usual ferry service and used as a cruise liner with frequent annual cruises around Scotland, Scandinavia and the Mediterranean.

Explore

This one is something a little different however one we were all keen to see, so after a much needed breakfast burger, we walked up the public footpath beside the ship and onto the rocks adjacent to it. As we walked up, the infamous angry security guard emerged and had a walk around however he didn’t seem too fussed by our presence. Having covered one side, we walked around to the other, where the better Art work was painted. I’d love to take a look on board however I can’t help but feel that access would be very difficult without a bloody long ladder.

Here are the pictures I got:

ciMAjeal.jpg

OPmQoxhl.jpg

vxZDasvl.jpg

wjpaS4Al.jpg

9xAHIaBl.jpg

L51j6Vnl.jpg

KGrG07Xl.jpg

cXj7Q2Fl.jpg

d2yeQOGl.jpg

BPu1Os3l.jpg

B2Gruc1l.jpg

ZQHCAivl.jpg

83LRuZk.jpg

Heading off towards home, there were only a couple of sites left to see now, the next being Lluetsy Hospital - Holywell

Last edited:
Like this one :D Looks like you had a decent trip! I've always wondered about getting inside...not sure if I could do it with angry secca there tampering with my kit though :p

Like this one :D Looks like you had a decent trip! I've always wondered about getting inside...not sure if I could do it with angry secca there tampering with my kit though :p

Short of bribery or the greatest deception ever seen I don't think it will happen. I'm pretty sure you could out walk this guys running pace though so I don't think your gear would be in any real danger.

Back