Eastry Chapel

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikinGlynn

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
52724002916_ffb6af00bf_c.jpg

Just a mini report this one
Cant actually find much about this place at all but this is all that remains of Eastry asylum, a place I never had the privilege of seeing.
Tried this early last year when down that way but it was sealed, later in the year checked it again to find it open.

52724409410_b6f2dd2e57_c.jpg

The chapel appears to of been used as a playgroup of some sort previously which at least made it a little more interesting inside.

52723479322_4888132150_c.jpg

52724477368_ee0fb5bef5_c.jpg

52724477488_9bde3b8b6d_c.jpg

52724477538_cf54c375b7_c.jpg

52724002916_ffb6af00bf_c.jpg

Thats it from here

That is interesting. The ceiling in the top "play" room, I wonder what it looked like before the drop down ceiling towels.

That is interesting. The ceiling in the top "play" room, I wonder what it looked like before the drop down ceiling towels.
But it does show what can be done with churches and chapels with high apex roofs. Usually by making two levels - ground for use, and above for storage; thus reducing heating bills and making lighting easier.

Trashed IMO bears no resemblance to it's former self. They converted a church a few moles away from where I live and I have wondered what they did to it.

Trashed IMO bears no resemblance to it's former self. They converted a church a few moles away from where I live and I have wondered what they did to it.
What is the alternative? Let it fall down or be vandalised? Without man's innate belief in the supernatural, such attractive buildings would never have existed in the first place.

I would say more "heavily modified" as to be fair there isnt much graff or vandalism.
but yeah with the ceiling ripped down it may look pretty decent

I would say more "heavily modified" as to be fair there isnt much graff or vandalism.
but yeah with the ceiling ripped down it may look pretty decent
And the reason for removing the ceiling? To create a 'museum'? Buildings are constructed (and modified) to be used. Were this chapel still in use as a play school, would any of the above comments have been made? Whoever might take the building on has a structure altered for 21st century use, not a nineteenth chapel that has outlived its original purpose.

Back