Edlingham Railway Tunnel, Northumberland - April 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I popped in there a few years ago, I gather that the tunnel is known as Hillhead.

CRW_4717.png

CRW_4716.png

CRW_4731.png

CRW_4799.png

CRW_4800.png

CRW_4801.png

CRW_4803.png

I seem to have missed this thread earlier. Really nice find and photos, guys. Some lovely brickwork there...love the handprint. :)

Thanks Foxylady, the brickwork is wonderful. Such classic Victorian engineering, but there is a lot of spalling of the brickwork and general damage through neglect and age., which doesn't really show up on the pictures.

just to confirm some of what dirus strictus said about laying down to avoid the train, i worked as a platelayer at the end of the 70's and as part of our training we were advised that in situations where there was no escape then you should lay down, face up, with your head facing the direction of the oncoming train.
the thinking was that as the train passed, your clothing, coat etc,would not billow up and catch on the train.
we were told that this "should" work even between the rails.
Fortunately i never had to do it and i dont know anyone that did but i did have my fair share of "near misses"

Wow, nice find mate, didn't know that was there, might go and take a look myself.

Yes its a cool tunnel mate. Not particularly long but seems to be the only one in Northumberland. I recommend wellies though for the climb to the bottom, its very swampy!

Latest posts

Back