EIP Metals, Birmingham, July 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes,lots of vandalism. worst bit was having stuff dropped on you as you passed under bridges, once was targeted with a bag of refuse! Not all bad though, my son in law who who owned the holiday boat Victoria held his wedding reception at Gas St Basin and it was a memorable occasion. So good memories too.
Later on - on the same holiday - we had moored up for the night at some quiet spot, only to have some idiot undo one of our mooring ropes. We woke to the sound of "IN! OUT! IN! OUT!" as a rowing boat came along the canal in the early morning mist. Our 40 foot steel narrow boat had swung right across the canal. The rowers took avoiding action, and went on their way.

Yes, we've been targeted sometimes. If we see youths on bridges that might be getting something ready to drop we get a camera out, works most of the time. But we've had many more good experiences than bad.
I found that a catapult was a good deterrent! Probably frowned on today but I figured that even the most socially challenged could understand my drift, sauce for the goose etc.

Absolutely was shouted at once for making a noise when knocking in mooring pins!
The worst of it is that people who pay for the canalside view then complain about the boats!
The Severn Valley Railway has had similar problems with people buying houses by the line, and then compalining about the trains' smoke and whistle sounds.

The Severn Valley Railway has had similar problems with people buying houses by the line, and then compalining about the trains' smoke and whistle sounds.
Opposition to the reopening of the seven mile Stratford upon Avon to Honeybourne link ( victim of Dr Beechings cuts ) is vociferous. The link wold reinstate direct services towards Worcester and on. Now it's necessary to go to Birmingham to connect. The track is now a green way but all intact. One objection raised is that reopening would deprive dog walkers of a convenient exercise area for their dogs! A balanced argument?
Anyway I don't suppose that any one has considered asking the dogs if they would rather ride than walk!

Opposition to the reopening of the seven mile Stratford upon Avon to Honeybourne link ( victim of Dr Beechings cuts ) is vociferous. The link wold reinstate direct services towards Worcester and on. Now it's necessary to go to Birmingham to connect. The track is now a green way but all intact. One objection raised is that reopening would deprive dog walkers of a convenient exercise area for their dogs! A balanced argument?
Anyway I don't suppose that any one has considered asking the dogs if they would rather ride than walk!
If it hadn't been shut in the first place, would these possibly-to-be-deprived pet owners now be demanding its closure and turning into a places for 'walkies' for their labradoodles? I do not think so. I read: "The Shakespeare Line Promotion Group continues to pursue local authorities, key stakeholders, politicians and any other relevant organisation to get an independent and comprehensive Economic Impact Study completed into the reopening proposal. Only then can the scheme be determined as being viable or not." A good job HS2 is not going through the same route!

If it hadn't been shut in the first place, would these possibly-to-be-deprived pet owners now be demanding its closure and turning into a places for 'walkies' for their labradoodles? I do not think so. I read: "The Shakespeare Line Promotion Group continues to pursue local authorities, key stakeholders, politicians and any other relevant organisation to get an independent and comprehensive Economic Impact Study completed into the reopening proposal. Only then can the scheme be determined as being viable or not." A good job HS2 is not going through the same route!
Yes, The Shakespeare Line Promotion Group is trying hard and I for one support them. Our local MP Nadhim Zawahi does NOT support reopening the line, however I understand that he DOES support opening the unspoiled length of the Avon to Warwick for pleasure boats, mostly diesel powered incidentally! One little benefit I did derive from the green way was that being surfaced with a white aggregate it was a useful navigational aid from Stratford to long Marston airfield my home airfield which was located next to the old railway. No flying from there any more as the developers are building houses there,I understand around 3500! The skylarks that lived there together with other wild life will have to " relocate "! Sad.

Yes, The Shakespeare Line Promotion Group is trying hard and I for one support them. Our local MP Nadhim Zawahi does NOT support reopening the line, however I understand that he DOES support opening the unspoiled length of the Avon to Warwick for pleasure boats, mostly diesel powered incidentally! One little benefit I did derive from the green way was that being surfaced with a white aggregate it was a useful navigational aid from Stratford to long Marston airfield my home airfield which was located next to the old railway. No flying from there any more as the developers are building houses there,I understand around 3500! The skylarks that lived there together with other wild life will have to " relocate "! Sad.
Mention of Long Marston reminds me of the Royal Engineers Stores Depot there in the 1950s and 1960s when I was stationed at Longmoor. On my Movement Control Clerk course, I filled out imaginary Consignment Notes for stores going to or being received from there. Typical MP! What were you flying into and out of LM, and when?

Mention of Long Marston reminds me of the Royal Engineers Stores Depot there in the 1950s and 1960s when I was stationed at Longmoor. On my Movement Control Clerk course, I filled out imaginary Consignment Notes for stores going to or being received from there. Typical MP! What were you flying into and out of LM, and when?
Interesting that you know of Long Marston, The depot was adjacent to the airfield as you know.
I took a gliding qualification in 1946 and having spent a lot of my life working in the aircraft industry decided to play with aircraft again. Microlights were affordable so flew flexwings for a while (,Pegasus GT450 ). Deciding that flexwings were a bit demanding physically being in my mid eighties I acquired a three axis machine a Cyclone AX2000 and flew that until L M sadly closed in 2017. I still have occasional flights in other peoples aircraft just for fun and because it's addictive!

Last edited:

Anyway I don't suppose that any one has considered asking the dogs if they would rather ride than
There are vociferous opposers to the canal restorations too. Usually on the grounds of it destroying wildlife. I had a heated debate with a wildlife-conservationist neighbour who opposes the work to extend the Montgomery canal. She said boats were unsuitable to be used on the canal. I said the canal wouldn't be there in the first place if it wasn't for boats. We agreed to differ!
We've been down onto the bit of the Montgomery that's navigable and it's teeming with wildlife. Has to be booked as they restrict the number of boats at a time.

There are vociferous opposers to the canal restorations too. Usually on the grounds of it destroying wildlife. I had a heated debate with a wildlife-conservationist neighbour who opposes the work to extend the Montgomery canal. She said boats were unsuitable to be used on the canal. I said the canal wouldn't be there in the first place if it wasn't for boats. We agreed to differ!
We've been down onto the bit of the Montgomery that's navigable and it's teeming with wildlife. Has to be booked as they restrict the number of boats at a time.
Yes I think canal restoration is quite legitimate,I explored the derelict Buckingham arm in the 1950s, already abandoned illegally, also took a canoe down the Wendover arm. However I feel that rivers like the Upper Avon should be left as they are, it was never navigable to Warwick and is not truly a restoration. Regarding your conversation with your conservationist neighbour,
I've had similar discussions with fishermen who complain that boats spoil their fishing! However having lived on a converted Fellows Morton iron day boat for nearly forty years I found that it was more usual for most folk to get along amicably thankfully. Incidentally it may be relevant to mention that a friend of mine purchased the derelict Coombe Hill Canal with a view to restoration, he was finally defeated by overwhelming opposition and that canal is now a nature reserve I believe.

Interesting that you know of Long Marston, The depot was adjacent to the airfield as you know.
I took a gliding qualification in 1946 and having spent a lot of my life working in the aircraft industry decided to play with aircraft again. Microlights were affordable so flew flexwings for a while (,Pegasus GT450 ). Deciding that flexwings were a bit demanding physically being in my mid eighties I acquired a three axis machine a Cyclone AX2000 and flew that until L M sadly closed in 2017. I still have occasional flights in other peoples aircraft just for fun and because it's addictive!
On 21 Feb 1989 I had a flight in a two-seater microlight from Popham. I recall trying to take pictures as we flew over the M3. It had a thruster propeller and, with no eye protection, my eyes were streaming from the effects of the wind! My very first flight was in an Auster from Yelverton airfield in the 1950s. Since then I've flown in a Handley Page Hermes IV, DC4s, a Hastings, Britannias, Cessnas, Bell Jetrangers, a Tri-Star, various Boeings and Airbuses, Dash 7s in the Caribbean, a hot air balloon, gliders in the UK and Australia, and an Airship 600 from Cardington. And a Beverley! What were you doing in the aircraft industry?

On 21 Feb 1989 I had a flight in a two-seater microlight from Popham. I recall trying to take pictures as we flew over the M3. It had a thruster propeller and, with no eye protection, my eyes were streaming from the effects of the wind! My very first flight was in an Auster from Yelverton airfield in the 1950s. Since then I've flown in a Handley Page Hermes IV, DC4s, a Hastings, Britannias, Cessnas, Bell Jetrangers, a Tri-Star, various Boeings and Airbuses, Dash 7s in the Caribbean, a hot air balloon, gliders in the UK and Australia, and an Airship 600 from Cardington. And a Beverley! What were you doing in the aircraft industry?
A bit naughty not providing you with a visor to protect your eyes! I was a design draughtsman working for various companies including Hunting Aircraft,De havilland, Napier, Handley Page, Field Aircraft ( On detachment From Huntings ).
I flew in Tiger Moths, D.H Doves, HP Halifax, Short Sunderland, Percival Proctor, DH Moth Minor, DH Rapide, Anson 19, Auster Autocrat plus a couple of helicopters, not fond of of rotary winged aircraft really though as I was working for Fairey Aviation when the rotor head on the Gyrodyne failed at 700 feet killing the pilot Mr Dixon and his observer, been a bit wary of them ever since!
Interesting to recollect, I hope to get a bit more flying in while still young enough! PS airship sounds interesting, what was it?

A bit naughty not providing you with a visor to protect your eyes! I was a design draughtsman working for various companies including Hunting Aircraft,De havilland, Napier, Handley Page, Field Aircraft ( On detachment From Huntings ).
I flew in Tiger Moths, D.H Doves, HP Halifax, Short Sunderland, Percival Proctor, DH Moth Minor, DH Rapide, Anson 19, Auster Autocrat plus a couple of helicopters, not fond of of rotary winged aircraft really though as I was working for Fairey Aviation when the rotor head on the Gyrodyne failed at 700 feet killing the pilot Mr Dixon and his observer, been a bit wary of them ever since!
Interesting to recollect, I hope to get a bit more flying in while still young enough! PS airship sounds interesting, what was it?
No – it was my fault for rejecting the offer of goggles; I thought they would get in the way of picture taking. Mention of the Gyrodyne brought to my mind the exploded diagram of the Rotodyne in the centre pages of the Eagle boys comic one week in the 1950s.

Airship Industries in the 1980s had built both the Skyship 500 and the 600. In Nov 1988 I took some photos of the 600 G-SKSC over north London. It had a Konica advertising banner that was creating static electricity sparks as it flapped against the envelope. I was unaware of this until I looked at the slides I’d taken – and on one saw a jagged bluish line between the banner and the envelope. I did a print and sent it off to AI. I got back a letter saying, with helium as the gas used there was no risk of fire – but would I like a free flight. I went to Cardington in March and May 1989, having the flight on 9 May – in G-SKSC. The pilot was a Peter Hemming.

It was a dull day, with no wind, and I have to say the flight was almost sensationless. As it should have been! I recall a certain amount of tilting as the airship rose on takeoff, but once at flight level there was nothing to feel. Similar to my hot air balloon flight.

Was Hunting the same people who did the aerial surveys?

No – it was my fault for rejecting the offer of goggles; I thought they would get in the way of picture taking. Mention of the Gyrodyne brought to my mind the exploded diagram of the Rotodyne in the centre pages of the Eagle boys comic one week in the 1950s.

Airship Industries in the 1980s had built both the Skyship 500 and the 600. In Nov 1988 I took some photos of the 600 G-SKSC over north London. It had a Konica advertising banner that was creating static electricity sparks as it flapped against the envelope. I was unaware of this until I looked at the slides I’d taken – and on one saw a jagged bluish line between the banner and the envelope. I did a print and sent it off to AI. I got back a letter saying, with helium as the gas used there was no risk of fire – but would I like a free flight. I went to Cardington in March and May 1989, having the flight on 9 May – in G-SKSC. The pilot was a Peter Hemming.

It was a dull day, with no wind, and I have to say the flight was almost sensationless. As it should have been! I recall a certain amount of tilting as the airship rose on takeoff, but once at flight level there was nothing to feel. Similar to my hot air balloon flight.

Was Hunting the same people who did the aerial surveys?
Yes,it was the same group. Huntings took over Percival aircraft at Luton and produced the Prentice,Provost, Jet Provost and later had a part of the BAC 111 aircraft project. They also had a London office in Cavendish Square.

Yes,it was the same group. Huntings took over Percival aircraft at Luton and produced the Prentice,Provost, Jet Provost and later had a part of the BAC 111 aircraft project. They also had a London office in Cavendish Square.
I recall the Provost and or the Jet Provost being used as an RAF trainer.

In the early 1970s I was working in Lesotho on a Diamond Exploration Project financed by the UNDP. We had infra-red and real colour aerial photography flown by, I believe, Hunting’s to provide information on likely areas to investigate on the ground. With us was a French photo-geologist who was expert in picking out – on stereo pairs – the smallest details to drive to in a Land-Rover, ride to on horseback, or just by shank’s pony.

Latest posts

Back