Elvian School, Reading – Feb 2014

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleOz

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
In the news December 2013…

”Campaigners battling for a new secondary school on the old Elvian School site have won a resounding victory. Construction giant Taylor Wimpey has lost its appeal against Reading Borough Council’s refusal to allow it to build 193 houses on the former school site.The West Reading Education Network (WREN) want the site for a new free secondary school and the group joined forces with Reading Borough Council and Reading West MP to oppose the appeal. Now they have to persuade the Education Funding Agency to buy the site.” I suspect it may remain derelict for some time!

Visited with Mr Dan and Cachewoo on a sunny February day. A nice relaxed mooch around the two older buildings on the site. We didn’t bother with the ugly modern block. Considering the school only closed in 2010, the buildings are showing significant levels of decay. Despite the doors, windows, wood panelling and floorboards having mostly been stripped out, it’s still easy to imagine that these were glorious buildings in their heyday.

Prep School

Senior School

Thanks for looking.

Awesome pics! I know this place very well but have never been to look. Used to live in Maidenhead just down the A4 from here. Now in Sheffield so its a bit of a trek :(

Wow, did it really only close in 2010? I hadn't had a chance to do any research yet. I did go exploring again today in the end.
I really like shot #11 of the stairs. I wish I'd have got a photo of the rear of the senior school as you did, and I completely missed that wallpaper. Nice one LittleOz!

Last edited:
Wow, did it really only close in 2010? I hadn't had a chance to do any research yet. I did go exploring again today in the end.
I'll add my photos to this post shortly.

Shocked me when I read 2010, especially considering the level of wreckage and that paper you found from 2002. Look forward to seeing your shots. I rushed mine up as I know yours will be better :)

Shocked me when I read 2010, especially considering the level of wreckage and that paper you found from 2002. Look forward to seeing your shots. I rushed mine up as I know yours will be better :)

Will be a while yet before I have my photos, as I've explored every day this week, I feel like I need a rest before starting to look at the hundreds I've taken. Back to work tomorrow... I much preferred exploring.

The modern building closed in 2010, as far as I know the two older buildings were closed long before then. Looks like I need to have another wander round here...

Back