Ex MOD Listening Post Shetland

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatty

Reaction score
Ive been up to this place on many occasions but the last I noticed some one had 'opened' one of the boarded doors. (kinda looked one of the parading cows had kicked it in)

The place is an Ex MOD listening post from the early 60's at Garth Ness Shetland. Searching on the internet there isnt much info available....

What amazes me the most is how savage the rust and erosion is, nothng is safe (even if its galvernised)

Heres some pickies...

aSataliteview.jpg

gn.jpg

gn1.jpg

gn2.jpg

gn4.jpg

gn6.jpg

gn9.jpg

gn10.jpg

gn12.jpg

gn13.jpg

gn15.jpg

gn16.jpg

gn17.jpg

gn18.jpg

gn19.jpg

gn22.jpg

gn23.jpg

gn24.jpg

gn25.jpg

gn26.jpg

gn28.jpg

gn30.jpg

gn31.jpg

gn32.jpg

I love listening posts, I know the're not particularl sexy but I love their simplicity and they're always in a fantastic location..... in the middle of nowhere :idea:

The pics are great thanks

See what you mean about the rust. The machine switch looks like a block of melting chocolate! :mrgreen:
Agree with that feeling of remoteness. Good stuff. :)

I love Shetland. I've been there three times for work over the past couple of years and I always wish I had more time to explore.

I'm looking forward to seeing more Shetland reports. :)

hi there,

fantastic photos i have just returned from the shetland isles myself, though i went to the island of unst, it has two derelict raf bases raf scaw and raf saxa vord both really good explores hoping to get my photos up soon. Didnt know this place existed so i know for next time when i go up i can go and explore this place

Christ!! Security cows!!!!

Great photos matey :)

Garth Ness Loran Site - 1970s

Hi,

Trawling through the past postings and saw this one. I visited RAF Garth Ness in the late 1970s whilst looking for a site to establish a radio-navigation beacon for N. Sea oil work. At that time, it was on care and maintenance and was a fully-operational Loran station working around 1950 kHz. To get access we contacted RAF Saxa Vord up on Unst but they at first had never heard of the place, eventually we got directed to the guy who lived in/near Sumburgh and he showed us around.

The Loran equipment was all in place, with some nice AR88 receiving gear and all the transmitting set-up ready to switch on. There may have been a interception facility there too but nothing was mentioned IIRC. Eventually, we put our beacon up on Sumburgh Head, nearby, and another on Fair Isle, so we never pursued the Garth Ness option. I think that the accommodation block(s) were used to temporarily house oil-workers at one point.

HTH,

Meridian

Garth Ness Loran Site - 1970s

Hi,

Trawling through the past postings and saw this one. I visited RAF Garth Ness in the late 1970s whilst looking for a site to establish a radio-navigation beacon for N. Sea oil work. At that time, it was on care and maintenance and was a fully-operational Loran station working around 1950 kHz. To get access we contacted RAF Saxa Vord up on Unst but they at first had never heard of the place, eventually we got directed to the guy who lived in/near Sumburgh and he showed us around.

The Loran equipment was all in place, with some nice AR88 receiving gear and all the transmitting set-up ready to switch on. There may have been a interception facility there too but nothing was mentioned IIRC. Eventually, we put our beacon up on Sumburgh Head, nearby, and another on Fair Isle, so we never pursued the Garth Ness option. I think that the accommodation block(s) were used to temporarily house oil-workers at one point.

HTH,

Meridian
Garths Ness was a Nato Loran radio station manned by the R.A.F. in the 1960's. As far as I know it was never an intercept station.

Latest posts

Back