Excelsior Tunnel, Cornwall - April 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*MrB*

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Well well, a lot of history to this place, briefly though:
THE EARLY HISTORY
The Excelsior mine sett at one time embraced much of the Kit Hill area, just over a mile N. E. of Callington in Cornwall, but the name later came to be more closely associated with the Excelsior Tunnel, sometimes known at Kit Hill Tunnel
In 1959 the Excelsior Tunnel was to take on a more sinister role. In the mid 1950's the 'cold war' between the Western powers and the Soviet Union was at its height but both sides were looking for a limitation to the bitter nuclear arms race. Negotiations on a test ban treaty started in 1958. As part of this treaty it was necessary to ensure that neither side was able to carry out secret undetected tests.
A team of geophysicists at the UK Atomic Weapons Research Establishment (AWRE) at Foulness was asked if a simple test could be carried out quickly. A small experiment was set up with two charges of explosives in a 20 feet deep bore hole in a bed of clay. The first 65 lb charge formed a large hole, and the second 2 lb charge suspended in the hole was 'decoupled' according to the Latter theory.
More info can be had here:
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/e/excelsior_tunnel/index.shtml

mini-DSC_0068.jpg

mini-DSC_0029.jpg

mini-DSC_0065.jpg

mini-DSC_0039.jpg

mini-DSC_0046.jpg

mini-DSC_0048.jpg

mini-DSC_0049.jpg

mini-DSC_0055.jpg

mini-DSC_0063.jpg

mini-DSC_0066.jpg

Interesting history & a nice set of pics! :) You've lit it really well down there-pic three specially! :mrgreen:

Please rember that you should not be using specific dates on this forum. You also don't need to put "REPORT" in the title.

Interesting history & a nice set of pics! :) You've lit it really well down there-pic three specially! :mrgreen:

I'm planning a re-visit soon, will try and 'play' with the lighting a bit and hopefully get some better results, it was my first explore, so overall pleased with the results

Excellent pics mate, especially for a first explore, we'll have to revisit now I've got a decent camera,catcha soon buddy!

Last edited:
Theres some beautiful archwork down there. Wicked shots you got, may I ask what you used to light it?

Last edited:
Hey BigLoada

The tunnel does seem very finely worked in places, the 'white' light was a 'Nightsearcher Panther' borrowed from my old man without him knowing, after finding out it cost him best part of a hundred pounds I thought I'd better not risk it again, was 1 million candle power light of which cheaper options are available, as for the 'blue' light, MrB can fill you in...
Hope it helps...

Latest posts

Back