Experimental Farm, Aberystwyth, May '11

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Archivist

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
In 1939 Alban Davies, a retired milk-merchant, gave £35,000 to the University College of Wales to buy 205 acres of land on Penglais Hill for research purposes. A new model farm was established by the Departments of Dairy Science and Agricultural Economics on the site and soon was at the forefront of dairying innovation.

During the Second World War, many members of staff in the Agricultural Departments were seconded to the service of the War Agricultural Committees and the Departments' remaining staff also made considerable contributions to increasing wartime food production.

After the War, the work of the farm continued with scientists working to develop higher yielding breeds of cattle, pigs and sheep, new feeds and new treatments for livestock. In 1995 the University Department of Agriculture merged with the Welsh Agricultural College to form the Welsh Institute of Rural Sciences. This was later merged with other departments to become the Institute of Rural Sciences and then the Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences.

The farm was closed last year following general budget cuts and a regrouping of University facilities. The site is to be redeveloped for housing in the near future.

Visit was by permission: the owners are unlikely to take kindly to univited visitors and caretakers live on site.

100_6585.jpg

The Farm

100_6584.jpg

A lotta bottle

100_6577.jpg

Desktop items

100_6586.jpg

Knackered moisture meter

100_6578-Copy.jpg

Estate Map

100_6573.jpg

This room was last used by an amateur boxing club. Approaching the door on the right I was hit by the unmistakable stench of rotting flesh. The source turned out to be a chest freezer full of slowly liquifying meat and fish.

100_6571.jpg

One anteroom was full of these medication bottles

100_6594.jpg

Milking Parlour with Herras

100_6593.jpg

Milking machinery

100_6592.jpg

Milking Machine

100_6596.jpg

Wool bag

100_6629.jpg

Some sort of feed mixer I think - it was right next to the silo.

100_6598.jpg

Dietary requirements board?

100_6635.jpg

Large cowshed

100_6588.jpg

Numbered pens

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Very nice find and documentation, Archivist. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that supplementary feed is given to cows after milking, depending on the individual milk yields...which is what I think the feed mixer and notice board are for.
Good stuff. Cheers. :)

Latest posts

Back