Farm Graveyard & A Tiny Cottage, Colyford, Devon. June 08.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi, doubt your going to reply to this as it is 16 years later but I live in colyford and have an interest in abandoned buildings. if you ever see this could you send me a rough location to save me walking around for a year. thanks bye
I'm still here so I will respond, lol. Sorry, leoboiiiii, but they're both gone now. The field's been cleared of all machinery and the last time I looked was being used to grow cereals. The cottage was demolished and the ground cleared too. It's been awhile since I went that way on the bus (I live in Seaton and don't drive) and I don't recall if it was built over or just left. If you want to check it out the cottage was just before the corrugated houses on your right coming up to the corner of Harepath Hill opposite the Seaton turn off. The field is opposite them on the left of your road.

Hope that makes sense! And welcome to DP. :)

To finish off a film I decided to go for a walk and investigate a tiny cottage that I'd spotted a couple of weeks ago. This time it was hardly visible though, as the foliage obscures practically all of it apart from the roof, so just a couple of pics. The first is taken from across the road and the other as close up as I could get. Totally inaccessible! I did find a path to the side which lead through some of the undergrowth but it soon became impassable...just a knot of trunks and brambles.

View attachment 17047

View attachment 17048

What was more interesting though, was in a field opposite...mounds of bricks and rubble from a demolished building and several pieces of abandoned farm machinery.

Some of the rubble. The rest of the mounds were very overgown.

View attachment 17049v

A random 60's style wrough-iron and glass telephone table plus what looks like an old window frame.

View attachment 17050

Several scattered pieces of machinery.

View attachment 17051

Several bales of hay in the undergrowth.

View attachment 17052

A very mucky muck spreader. :mrgreen:

View attachment 17053

A large and tipsy liquid container.

View attachment 17054

A hay wain...but not as Constable would have known it! :mrgreen:

View attachment 17055

View attachment 17056

I only had a couple of frames left on my film and having spotted an old and rotting horse box behind the mounds, I went to investigate...and found stacks more farm machinery. I didn't get the horse box, but tried to get as much in shot with the last couple of pics.

View attachment 17057

View attachment 17058

No idea what some of these were, but there was the hulk of an old tractor, a very rusty tanker and lots of other things that I hadn't expected to see. I shall have to go back...with more film. ;)

Cheers :)
The first of the unknown pieces of machinery seems to be a rotary cutter of some sort, connected to a tractor's rear power-take-off. For cutting rough scrub. Seeing the KEEP CLEAR warning on the second one also suggests rotating metalwork of some type. The two black plastic-looking parts may have been covers protecting or shielding bits of it. I'm not sure which way it would have been moving when working.

I just had a thought; I discovered more when I wrote it up for my blog in 2018, plus realised a lot more about the layout as well as added the full set of photos. So, if anyone's interested the link's below...

https://pastremainsblog.blogspot.com/2018/04/farm-workers-cottage-colyford-devon.html
And the link to the farm graveyard with a lot more photos...

https://pastremainsblog.blogspot.com/2018/02/farm-graveyard-colyford-devon.html
Cheers. :)
didnt know u had a blog, thats quite interesting

Cheers, Glyn. I used to have a website but it I gave it up a few years ago for various reasons. The blog was a kind of back-up and I've gradually been rewriting my website articles for it as well as adding a lot of new stuff. Loads of things planned but I haven't been well this year so it's slowed down somewhat. Getting there! :)

Cheers, Glyn. I used to have a website but it I gave it up a few years ago for various reasons. The blog was a kind of back-up and I've gradually been rewriting my website articles for it as well as adding a lot of new stuff. Loads of things planned but I haven't been well this year so it's slowed down somewhat. Getting there! :)
its good as not many people bother with blogs these days so is nice to see.

Back