Firbeck Hall. Nov 2016

Help Support Derelict Places:

YORBEX

Regular Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2016
Messages
27
Reaction score
131
history
Firbeck Hall was built in 1594 by William West, who made a fortune practising law and serving as an associate to Gilbert Talbot, 7th Earl of Shrewsbury from 1580 to 1594. West was the author of a legal textbook called “Symbolaeographia.”

In 1935, a Sheffield stockbroker, Cyril Nicholson, opened the hall as a country club, investing £80,000 in its renovation. The interior was dramatically modernised and featured a mirror-walled ballroom and an elaborate and versatile state-of-the art lighting system. There was also a heated outdoor swimming pool. Membership fees ranged from three to seven guineas, and the club was patronised by the likes of Amy Johnson and the then Prince of Wales. Such was the reputation of the club, that the BBC transmitted its weekly Saturday show “Late Night Dance Music” with Henry Hall, Carroll Gibbons and Charlie Kunz from Firbeck.

At the outbreak of the Second World War, the hall was used by Sheffield Royal Infirmary and the Royal Air Force, with the adjacent aerodrome becoming RAF Firbeck. After the War, the building was bought by the Miners Welfare Commission for use as a rehabilitation centre for injured miners. This centre closed in 1984, and the building is currently privately owned.

The hall is reputedly haunted by a Green Lady; believed to be the daughter of a former owner who drowned herself in the hall’s lake when her Roundhead lover was killed.

Visited with urbanbloodybear thankfully we didnt encounter the crazy farmer and his shotgun

sam_2123.jpg

sam_2124.jpg

sam_2211.jpg

sam_2212.jpg

sam_2210.jpg

sam_2218.jpg

sam_2217.jpg

sam_2215.jpg

sam_2214.jpg

sam_2216.jpg

sam_2213.jpg

sam_2219.jpg

sam_2126.jpg

sam_2125.jpg

sam_2220.jpg

sam_2221.jpg
 
Top