Fletchers Paper Mill – Greenfield – October 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Fletchers Paper Mill – Greenfield – October 2012

1-4.jpg

I know I was last here in June; but it’s a great place to spend an hour or 2. Haven’t looked at my last report to see what images I used last time, but did try to take ones I knew I didn’t take before, just hope people don’t get bored of seeing Fletchers, as I don’t. Also a brief call at Bailey Mill while in the area.

History

The history of Fletchers as a business can be traced back to 1829 and a company called Ralph Crompton & Nephews Bleachers and Papermakers in Stoneclough. A young Robert Fletcher began working there in 1830 and was quickly promoted, becoming bleaching dept manager and eventually manager of the whole operation.

The last of the Cromptons, Roger, left Fletcher the principal trusteeship and the option of succeeding him in the company. On Crompton's death Fletcher did just this, building the business until his death in 1865 when it passed to his sons John and James Fletcher, who in turn passed it to their sons John Robert and James.

In 1897 the business was incorporated as a Ltd company, employing two hundred staff, eventually rising to around a thousand. The Stoneclough site had seven machines but produced a fraction of the eventual output of the three at Greenfield.

The Greenfield factory opened in 1921 on a site where milling in one form or another can be traced back to 1780, producing first wool then cotton.

Fletchers continued to be successful through to the late 1990's when increased pulp and energy costs combined with a financial downturn saw the business begin to struggle. In 1997 the turnover was around £17m with shareholders funds of £9m. By 1999 this had dropped to £8.2m and £4m respectively. To try to save the business the Stoneclough site was closed in 2000 with the loss of 120 jobs there but the production of 50 more at Greenfield.

This wasn't enough to save Fletchers though, in July 2001 several creditors applied for a winding up order resulting in the overnight closure of the factory.

My Visit

Due to car related problems I was restricted to local stuff today! It was good to meet up with Marsden1012 and introduce him to the delights of Fletchers Mill; I knew he had been trying to get in for a bit so was good to head back.

The site was busier than usual and we were lucky with our few close encounters; especially the last on which we viewed just after we had left, grins on our faces.

I crack on with some photos and drop the waffle (Well I’ll try :) )

1-14.jpg

2-14.jpg

3-14.jpg

4-14.jpg

5-14.jpg

6-14.jpg

7-14.jpg

8-14.jpg

9-14.jpg

10-13.jpg

Shortly after this things started to get interesting, doors were tried from outside and vehicle movement increased; our thought was bugger it as we were in, so we continued with our mooch.

12-11.jpg

I’m glad we did as the Virginia Creeper was stunning on these windows.

13-7.jpg

14-7.jpg

Well that it, a great few hours and nice to meet a new face. Fletchers Mill is vast and every time I go I see something new; unlike Bailey Mill which I visited solo after picking my car up; a real shame to see how trashed it has become, even in the basement. The camera didn't even come out the bag!

Cheers

TLR

Nice real nice , fantastic set of images, love the colours on the last window shots :)

we got busted there , resulting in rapid response WPC on mountain bike , who couldnt apologise enough for keeping us waiting and putting us out , much to the site managers annoyance , good times :)

Last edited:
Enjoyed your photos, but it makes me truly sad to see Britain's manufacturing base vanishing plant by plant. So many jobs lost, and the people left behind on benefits. Much of the USA has the same problems. The Telegraph carried a great article yesterday about the shortsightedness of closing facilities and outsourcing jobs, just to turn a quick fix on the balance sheet.

Lovely pics, I've wanted to do this place for a while now! I did Bailey recently, and TBH I actually thought it to be a very good 'splore :)

Cheers all, I do like this place :)

Nice real nice , fantastic set of images, love the colours on the last window shots :)

we got busted there , resulting in rapid response WPC on mountain bike , who couldnt apologise enough for keeping us waiting and putting us out , much to the site managers annoyance , good times :)

There's a fair few been busted over the years, but the local force has all the modern technology at their disposal these days, long gone is the rapid responce on the horse and cart ;)

Lovely pics, I've wanted to do this place for a while now! I did Bailey recently, and TBH I actually thought it to be a very good 'splore :)

I still have a soft spot for Bailey Mill, but it's in a sad state now compared to how it was. Metal and roof slate thieves have removed a lot of the interesting stuff. I did like your report btw and was going to say you'ld managed to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear :) You managed to capture what few intereresting things which are left very well.

So sad

So sad to see it like this as it was once the hub of village life. Thanks to these amazing pics I can almost see the ghosts of workers, including my Dad,:( moving around the site.

Thanks Saddleworthian, it's sad to see, I also know a fair few local people who worked there at the time. When do you think Wiggett will get planning permission for some more nice new town houses on the site ;)

Sum really cracking pics u got there!...love the bits left behind and the machinary, creepers on the windows look great...just turning red as well.

I only wish i had been that lucky, i drove a long way only to get chucked out by sec, who then called the owner...who then called plod, old bill were ok so all good:mrgreen:

thanx for showing me wot i missed out on!!!:mrgreen::(;)

i live really close to this and had no idea is was derelict. like less than a mile away, wow, going to check it out after barnes hospital this weekend.

Back