Fort Darnet (Overnighter) - September 2015

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimJim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
24 hours in a derp!

Shout outs and thanks to Konrad and his old man on this one :D

Yet again another explore and overnighter that's been bouncing around in conversation for a long time! Me and Konrad were determined to do another camp out on a site and end the summer with a bit of a bang. We scratched our heads for a while over different places before Darnet cropped up during a chat. :mrgreen: Thinking about it now, I'm not quite sure how it all came to fruition, it seems like a dream, but with a bit of planning, some improvisation and Konrad's Dad kindly loaning us some equipment, a vessel and a bit of advice we were sorted! :p

I had my doubts...I really did. I even messaged Konrad in the early hours to express my doubts and apprehension over the trip. By the time the morning came and we arrived, I felt much better and we just went for it!

Setting up before setting off. I dumped all the kit and Konrad by the launch point and left my car in a dodgy looking neighbourhood hoping it wouldn't get nicked.
21221564816_f159cbb4d4_c.jpg

We're about halfway there at this point, just parallel to the shore of another island. I liken the kayak to being in some sort of giant tea cup. It's heavily laden with gear and handles like a drunk pig. We later found out that it had a fair bit of water inside it too! Jelly fish are floating in the current and it's cold as owt...you don't wanna go in the drink here!
20626685443_74fa4c85d7_c.jpg

We're greeted by plenty of old concrete barges on the way through and on the island. They use them to minimise erosion.
21058304680_4054ab8274_c.jpg

Looking over at the fort from the other side of the moat.
21235928902_0cf1f601ce_c.jpg

Setting up a bit and having a brew before exploring. The loopholes for the guns were made of some seriously thick iron. I'm wondering how they moved them around. Steam crane I suppose?
21246416315_b9d43be6d5_c.jpg

Space in the middle of the fort with what appears to be an OP on top.
20623757724_283c4df718_c.jpg

The lower level has about 4ft of water in it. It's said that it was done deliberately to "prevent vandalism". We were both scratching our heads as to how flooding something would be a logical way to reduce or prevent vandalism because to us it's essentially vandalism in itself. We came to the conclusion that the land owners (Port Authority) are basically just a bunch of stupid, indifferent bellends with no appreciation for history or heritage :D We managed to squeeze the canoe down there anyway so up yours Port Authority goons!
21058324420_22448756e8_c.jpg

Time for a beer and a ruby! :D I'm in my boxers because I soaked my trousers and didn't take a spare pair! Oops! Oh well, at least I can say I've done a derp in my pants now too! You can also see the construction of the interior of the fort a little better here. I didn't get many internal photos, but got plenty of video so have a look nearer the bottom of the post!
20625129714_b22894b493_c.jpg

Walking around the island I stepped onto what I thought was a solid patch. Turns out it was super soft, stinky silt deposits of some sort and it all just swallowed my foot! Good times :D
21059567299_e00b9cb450_c.jpg

Sunrise the morning after. There was very little ambient light, so night shots weren't possible. I got a few shots of the power station and the lights, etc during the night, but the wind wobbled my tripod! I actually slept really well...the best I've ever slept in a derp or any stealth camp! Got a reasonable 8 hours or so!
20625278963_918c1d6a61_c.jpg

Getting back was a bit more dodgy than getting there. A stove fell into the water, but luckily floated and the rubbish bag was trying to get away. Never-the-less we made it back to shore ok without capsizing!

Here's the video:

Honestly though, I never thought we'd make it here, just because of the pure faff-factor, my disliking of tidal water, lack of willing participants, etc. It was an absolute joy to get out here and cross another one off the list and also end the summer on a good note. More pics on my Flickr!

Last edited:
Thanks Jim for the write up, driving and putting such a great video together :D

The 2 man kayak was pretty hard to handle with all that equipment and the water draining into it :neutral: but we made it there and back.

Nice curvature of the brick here, of course it's only what was strongest at the time but it gave it a grand feeling. If I was to just see the outside of the fort I would have assumed it was a medieval folly, kind of looks a bit like a small castle.

21267224195_ea8e114d30_b.jpg

21079314538_f04ca45f58_b.jpg

20646058423_97abb6de62_b.jpg

21275284731_e6735491ae_b.jpg

21080288739_970fd6e426_b.jpg

21079293458_b70709e0e6_b.jpg

21240941636_962cb32622_b.jpg

21079115840_e9decc1864_b.jpg

A bit of flash photography due to the unstable platform.

21240936676_fc9a87cfc4_b.jpg

The stairs that connect the two floors showing signs of being well trodden.

21240955836_2939228954_b.jpg

The whole thing just felt surreal but I'm pleased we pulled it off, a solid way to round off the summer.

Last edited:
Great photos and video SlimJim! I loved the music when you were crossing over in the boat :laugh:

Amazing stuff yet again, although I'm beginning to worry you've not got a good home to go to!
The first time I saw this place on Google Earth my initial thought was "That needs a sleepover" and you've done the place justice!
Excellent write up and photos, very rewarding. Thanks for sharing :)

This is awesome! I'd have been crapping myself rowing across the water for fear of all the gear falling in!

That's superb slim Jim.I really need to do a sleep over.but I like a comfy bed to be honest loo..well done though guys looks quite an adventure.the boat looks fun but I would have to wear armbands as I am terrible in water ha ha

Looks like you had a great time, although I'm not sure eating a curry then getting into a sleeping bag is a good idea. Nicely Done by you both, Thanks

This is awesome! I'd have been crapping myself rowing across the water for fear of all the gear falling in!

Cheers! :D Admittedly I was crapping myself through some of it. Every now and then the water would be very calm and the tension would subside, but a few waves coming over the top and Konrad's brick of a stove going in the water got the old heart beating a bit, along with the subsequent wobbling about trying to fish it out again!

This is amazing! I've always wanted to do a sleep over somewhere, but I don't know anyone crazy enough to join me ��

Thankyou :) Yeah that's the problem half the time, no one is mad enough to want to do it. Or worst yet they like the idea of it when they're sitting at home in front of the telly, then flake at the last minute when they realise what they're getting into!

That's superb slim Jim.I really need to do a sleep over.but I like a comfy bed to be honest loo..well done though guys looks quite an adventure.the boat looks fun but I would have to wear armbands as I am terrible in water ha ha

Thanks :p It's really a lot comfier than it looks if you've got a certain standard of kit. I hear you on that one, I'm not a lover of water, but perhaps in time that could change - never say never :)

Awesome!
I have been thinking of a visit here by kayak for a while (and Hoo as well).
Might have to sort out a trip

Latest posts

Back