Fort Scoveton, Pembrokeshire

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for photos, reckon health & safety today would be unhappy about the gun!

I know( or knew ) Winslow as I travelled through it often on my way to Compton Verney, and I guess your wife knows Swanbourne too.

Happy memories of the Field Marshall, ours too was a green one,decent looking.
I recall the unusual starting procedure, it was 6litre capacity single cylinder engine and my boss wouldn't spend money on cartridge start so it was take a deep breath and swing it by hand. Good excercise on a cold December morning!

Rambling again must be getting old!
Thanks. And the shotgun was not 'broken'.

My wife's family home was 33 Sheep Street, just up from the square. As a child, one of her 'jobs' was to go to the pub with a tankard to bring it back full for her father.

I've heard of cartridge start for tractors, bulldozers, etc. The Ferguson had two fuel tanks. A small one for petrol, to start on; and a larger TVO (tractor vapourising oil - paraffin) for normal running. As I expect you know, the TVO was much cheaper than petrol.

When my step-father worked at a Buckfastleigh - driving a Chaseside front loader - he would chop the wood for the mess room fire; a good way of keeping warm on a cold day.

Thanks. And the shotgun was not 'broken'.

My wife's family home was 33 Sheep Street, just up from the square. As a child, one of her 'jobs' was to go to the pub with a tankard to bring it back full for her father.

I've heard of cartridge start for tractors, bulldozers, etc. The Ferguson had two fuel tanks. A small one for petrol, to start on; and a larger TVO (tractor vapourising oil - paraffin) for normal running. As I expect you know, the TVO was much cheaper than petrol.

When my step-father worked at a Buckfastleigh - driving a Chaseside front loader - he would chop the wood for the mess room fire; a good way of keeping warm on a cold day.
Yes, The Fordson E27N Major had petrol and TVO tanks. I owned a couple of tractors with similar, one was an F type Fordson of about 1940 or thereabouts vintage and the other an International Junior of about 1918, very rare now and worth a fortune.

Thank you for the interesting correspondence.

Yes, The Fordson E27N Major had petrol and TVO tanks. I owned a couple of tractors with similar, one was an F type Fordson of about 1940 or thereabouts vintage and the other an International Junior of about 1918, very rare now and worth a fortune.

Thank you for the interesting correspondence.
A pleasure. Another thing about the Ferguson was that the gear lever was used to energise the electric starter. There was a postion marked S. No need for key ignition, with the chance of rainwater getting at the contacts.

A pleasure. Another thing about the Ferguson was that the gear lever was used to energise the electric starter. There was a postion marked S. No need for key ignition, with the chance of rainwater getting at the contacts.
Yes, that was a clever innovation,foxed me once!

Yes, that was a clever innovation,foxed me once!
What struck me as out of place was the hand-operated, long chromed accelerator lever. The shiny chrome was so different from the rest of the machine - and the lever did not seem that strong. At least it could be used easily by a thickly-gloved hand on a freezing cold day, and its length allowed for fine speed adjustments. A foot-operated pedal might not have been so clever when crossing rough ground.

Latest posts

Back