Fylde House - The Mother and Baby Hostel (Blackpool)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackylad83

Reaction score
This impressive building is only down the street from me and has been on my bucket list for a while. The house is Victorian and probably was built in the late 1800s - 1900s. Probably, it was either used as house for the richer people of Blackpool. I did quite a bit of research locally and found out the building was once called Fylde House. It was a mother and Baby Children's Home and accommodated young mums, who were not married and required before and after confinement care. (Info taken from childrenshomes.org.uk) At some point, the home closed and it was then taken on by Stonham Housing Association, as a Mother and Baby Hostel, probably for babies who were under a Child Protection Order by the Court and the Local Authority. Probably due to cutbacks, Fylde House closed in 2019 and has been sealed ever since.

However, a few weeks ago, I noticed the window upstairs was open and then a couple of days ago, that the window was then shut. This made me and my mate Matty even more determined to have a look, even though the whole place looked if it was sealed. Access was a bit of a problem, but after a bit of climbing, it was all quite straightforward to get into the garden. As suspected, the building was sealed and unfortunately, we could not get inside. However, Matty and I did take a few shots of the outside.

What makes this place really interesting, was that there were also houses built at the bottom of the garden, which were part of the property. I think these 3 or 4 houses, were probably move-on accommodation, attached to the Hostel, with staff support. The row of 4 houses was also sadly sealed, but we did find a homeless man camping in a tent in the garden!

Enjoy the pics!

From the street, it looks as if the building was in quite good condition.

271304132_435205401626294_1407201877678145705_n.jpg

Interesting how the power was still on, outside the building.

271677507_883168765703737_5405494416542925836_n.jpg

At some point, an extension had been added, indicated by the lighter brickwork.

270116094_467528404851755_9093756726532339560_n.jpg

The building plans show that this little annex, was staff sleep in accommodation.

271659421_601007630967831_431574241789697738_n.jpg

From the bottom of the 1st part of the garden, you can see how big Fylde House actually is!

271235727_616593712975155_7835119378893371619_n.jpg

Lurking at the bottom of the garden, we found this block of houses, likely used as move on accommodation with staff support.

270421733_1614212642256364_2476208297430817346_n.jpg

The houses went quite a way back, occupying the bottom of the long garden.

271815439_641569410322940_2186750670910543365_n.jpg

And for those of you who are interested.... The floor plans for the building.

fylde.png

Last edited:
I was resident in Fylde House during the 70s. As you went in, the front room on the lefthand side was the office. The second room on the left hand side was a staff room. The room I really remember was the bay fronted living room to the right as you went in. It was rather austere, painted cream with Victorian cornices etc. It must have been a big room as I seemed to think there was at least a dozen of us -not including the babies sitting in there in an evening. It was a sad depressing place. The next room on the left was the dining room where everyone sat down for breakfast at a long table, and again for dinner and tea. Then through the dining room which was big was the kitchen -where we peeled endless potatoes and also collecting apples from the orchard at the back. I remember a lot of wood in the house, scrubbing floors, polishing wood - but still the musty stale tobacco smell.

I think you should have a little more faith in your urbexing. :) (y) Believe that you will get in and then post once you have indoor photos as well. Personally I only post outdoor ones if we didn't get in before the place was demolished. Like Cowling Mill where we arrived as they were tearing down the first wall. It also saves two separate reports if you do get into somewhere. I have lots of St Joseph's College from the outside. But I'm not posting until we get in ... and we will .... we will ....

(that's just my opinion on reporting explores. not quoting a forum rule. but if everyone posted their outdoors as one report then their indoors as another it could get cluttered in here? 🤷‍♂️)

I was resident in Fylde House during the 70s. As you went in, the front room on the lefthand side was the office. The second room on the left hand side was a staff room. The room I really remember was the bay fronted living room to the right as you went in. It was rather austere, painted cream with Victorian cornices etc. It must have been a big room as I seemed to think there was at least a dozen of us -not including the babies sitting in there in an evening. It was a sad depressing place. The next room on the left was the dining room where everyone sat down for breakfast at a long table, and again for dinner and tea. Then through the dining room which was big was the kitchen -where we peeled endless potatoes and also collecting apples from the orchard at the back. I remember a lot of wood in the house, scrubbing floors, polishing wood - but still the musty stale tobacco smell.
I think I was one of the babies born here in 1969, thanks for the insight of what the building was like x

I think you should have a little more faith in your urbexing. :) (y) Believe that you will get in and then post once you have indoor photos as well. Personally I only post outdoor ones if we didn't get in before the place was demolished. Like Cowling Mill where we arrived as they were tearing down the first wall. It also saves two separate reports if you do get into somewhere. I have lots of St Joseph's College from the outside. But I'm not posting until we get in ... and we will .... we will ....

(that's just my opinion on reporting explores. not quoting a forum rule. but if everyone posted their outdoors as one report then their indoors as another it could get cluttered in here? 🤷‍♂️)
I plan to go back. it's only up the road for me... I have seen windows upstairs open so there must be a way in. I shall investigate further.

Latest posts

Back