General Urbex Photos Thread!

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple is two, not one, not three but two.
It was a joke. I intended that you see a couple, then were surprised on scrolling to see many more.

Some nice pictures there by the way. If they were posted in a thread about the subject(s) we would at least know where they were. As they stand thery are just nice but random images with no attachment to anything. Perhaps that is what you want, but lets not forget this is not a photography forum
Glad you like them. Each is titled on flickr if you wish to know where any were taken.

Okeydokey, here are a few of my one-offs. :)

An old, unused dredger, derelict boat and a pile of woody stuff at the harbour, Seaton, Devon.

harboursept03.jpg

harboursept06.jpg

harboursept15.jpg

And an old winch in the abandoned quarry at the base of Hay Tor, Dartmoor, Devon.

haytorquarry01.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, hello.

I'm posting this here for different reasons to not being arsed for a full report. This place deserves to have its brains reported out. But... The number of places that have got totally fucking trashed the last few years thanks to being overly popular on the internet is disgusting. Hence I've kinda stopped posting reports... Ish. Chavs and pikeys find out about places and loot/smash them. I'm not having that happen to this place... It's too full of history, EVERYTHING is left in there. As you can see.

28wm6c7.jpg

Last edited:
I'm posting this here for different reasons to not being arsed for a full report. This place deserves to have its brains reported out. But... The number of places that have got totally fucking trashed the last few years thanks to being overly popular on the internet is disgusting. Hence I've kinda stopped posting reports... Ish. Chavs and pikeys find out about places and loot/smash them. I'm not having that happen to this place... It's too full of history, EVERYTHING is left in there. As you can see.

This is exactly why I created this section, though from recent explores, I've found its explorers as well as chavs and pikeys whom are contributing to the damage of places.

Heres one of mine, i have seen the error of my ways :lol:.........

The Cleddau bridge disaster,the biggest bridge disaster of recent times.. I have struggled to find any in depth information into this disaster so all the information you see is from various internet pages. The river Cleddau divided Pembrokeshire into two halves. The towns of Pembroke Dock on the south side and Neyland on the north side were less than a mile apart across the water but a 28 mile journey was required to travel between them via road. To overcome this, between 1858 and 1950 the Admiralty permitted operation of steam ferries between the two towns and from 1950 to 1975, the County Council operated a ferry service, with capacity for 24 vehicles and 250 pedestrians. The two steam ferries were called the Cleddau King and the Cleddau Queen.
The Cleddau King:
cleddau4.jpg

The Cleddau Queen:
Cleddau20Queen.jpg

cleddau3.jpg

A decision was taken in the 1960s to replace the ferry service with a bridge linking Neyland and Pembroke Dock.
This is the original docking point from which the Ferry would have landed before the bridge was built:
cleddau11.jpg

cleddau13.jpg

Two bridges would be constructed, the main Cleddau Bridge covering the Cleddau river stretch and smaller bridge to cross the Westfield Pill creek, about ¼ mile away. Sir Alexander Gibb and Partners and Freeman Cox and Partners were appointed as joint consulting engineers and the contract to build the bridge was awarded to A.E. Farr Limited in September 1968 for £2.1 million.
The bridge was expected to be completed by March 1971, however on 2 June 1970 a 70m cantilever being used to put one of the 150-ton sections into position collapsed on the Pembroke Dock-side of the estuary. (Note the collapsed bridge in the backround)
Cluddau20King.jpg

Too close for comfort!

more-history.jpg

steel1.jpg

Four workers died, and five were injured although there were no casualties to members of the public living locally, although it was a miracle that this didn’t happen! Construction was halted until October 1972. After this disaster new rules lay the groundwork for a new British Standard covering box girder bridge design. As of 2007, the collapse during construction is regarded as the last major bridge disaster in the UK.
Construction was eventually finished, at a final cost of £11.83 million, and the bridge opened to traffic on the 20th March 1975. £7 million of the overspend was attributed to design changes made due to the collapse and ensuring it would not happen again.. This was covered by a £3 million out-of-court settlement between the County Council and the consulting engineers and a £4 million interest-free loan from the Government that was repayable over 40 years.885,900 crossing were made during the bridge's first year in operation.

Looking out from the original boat crossing point:
2578192685_5b321ef63b.jpg

cleddau9-1.jpg

Last edited:
This is exactly why I created this section, though from recent explores, I've found its explorers as well as chavs and pikeys whom are contributing to the damage of places.

I've heard lately of explorers taking artefacts to sell on ebay. Bad times.

For my 2p worth I think the thread is a good idea. It's not always easy to find enough information for a full report, in some case it's pretty well impossible. Take a random old building in the middle of nowhere, where do you begin to look it up? ask the locals, sometimes they haven't a clue either (if you can find one to start with) plus theres the danger of drawing attention to the building your interested in. Look it up on Google? whats it called.... err don't know, that'll help no end.
I have spotted an old building on a mountainside, I'm planning an explore soon, I doubt I'll be able to get much if anything in the way of history, theres nothing and no one even near it, probably some old farm, but still interesting to some maybe.
For me I'd rather see the pics with no history than not see them at all. (gets off soapbox) Wayne

Too Lazy.

Then they are not Urban Explorers then but thieves surely?

Technically yes. If artifacts or documents are going into a skip or being bulldozed into a pile of rubble?

Right then folks I found something unusual while out on my travels.

Don’t know much about the history* but it appears to be connected with communications, possible used by BT. Been abandoned for some time; pikey’s have been in and nicked some of the original communications gear and a few windows have been damaged.

I had to leave after getting only one picture because I was unable to negotiate the security breezeblock that was preventing entry (and I didn’t fancy squeezing through a window). Might go back later with a few people; see if we can shift it.

3492097816_5ed7d74427.jpg

(PS this is all Thompski's fault) :lol:

*Actually I do; it's part of the old Mickleover Railway station in Derby which used to be on the old GNR Friargate line.

Right then folks I found something unusual while out on my travels...

...Might go back later with a few people; see if we can shift it.

I'll take a team of goons to deal with security, the size of the site really is mind-boggling on your picture, is there any other security apart from the breeze block? Does seem a bit risky... Good luck infiltrating it :)

Too Lazy.

Prompted by another post. "Ghost Orb Central"
Re-exposureofIMG_1490.png

Some more from places in North West England I didn't bother posting :)

A Skateboarding explorer inside the Aytoun Street Job Centre in Manchester, an attractive if doomed early 1950s Modernist building which closed in 1993.
2936024178_19668de3ff.jpg

The Victoria Baths in Manchester, a fantastic example of Edwardian architecture made famous by shows such as Life on Mars
2935925324_eb44b85d2e.jpg

The 1930s Projectors of the former ABC Cinema in Tuebrook, Liverpool.
3096229063_3f73f63f19.jpg

View of Castlefields area of Manchester, with Salford in the distance from the disused Great Northern Railway Viaduct, built in 1894.
3457300447_bb9f0f50b1.jpg

Right then folks I found something unusual while out on my travels.

Don’t know much about the history* but it appears to be connected with communications, possible used by BT. Been abandoned for some time; pikey’s have been in and nicked some of the original communications gear and a few windows have been damaged.

I had to leave after getting only one picture because I was unable to negotiate the security breezeblock that was preventing entry (and I didn’t fancy squeezing through a window). Might go back later with a few people; see if we can shift it.

3492097816_5ed7d74427.jpg

(PS this is all Thompski's fault) :lol:

*Actually I do; it's part of the old Mickleover Railway station in Derby which used to be on the old GNR Friargate line.

Ahhh, this is close to the famous rusty petrol pump, I believe..........:lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back