Ghost Ads

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello
Just to say i love these type of ghost signs i have some photos as well which i wil post soon . Also just to let you know there is a sit dedicated to Ghost signs and Advert its called ...www.hatad.org.uk.. Hope thisinterest you ..Roxy101 :)

One to rival Nelly's Green Dragon Hotel, (which I was going to post, but he beat me to it:mad:). This one is in Crouch Hill, North London.:)
Olddairy2.jpg

Olddairy.jpg

This building on the corner of Hanley Road and Crouch Hill, now a pub, was once owned by the Friern Manor Dairy Company as a development of the site that they already owned.

The minutes of the London County Council's Building Act Committee record:

That the application of Mr J Young & Co, on behalf of the Friern Manor Dairy Farm Co Ltd, for the consent of the Council for the erection of an addition to the rear of number 127 Hanley Road, Stroud Green, to abut on Crouch Hill, be granted subject to the condition that the addition therein referred to be commenced within six months and completed within 18 months from the 30 day of September 1890.

The exterior wall that faces onto Crouch Hill, comprises a remarkable set of seven, unique, anonymous sgraffitto panels (c.1890), with picturesque illustrations of: Milk Delivery (ancient); Milk Delivery (modern); In the Country; Milk Cooling; Making Butter; Milling; Grazing.

Last edited:
One just a bit closer to home. The building used to be The Chequers pub in Watton Road Ware. Last used as a pub in the early 1970's, then apparently was taken over by a business that did pine stripping and finally occupied by it's current occupiers, an estate agents, from 1989.
This years heavy frost seems to have taken quite a toll on the fabric of the sign and unless something is done to rectify it, it won't be around for much longer.:cry:
TheChequersPubWare.jpg

A quick scout round Bradford on Avon today netted this little lot

1 amazing what you miss I was photographing the the RAC sign and only spotted the ghost ad to the right when I looked at the picture on screen

2 I have lived around Bradford for nearly 40 years and never spotted this one before either

3 Bradford was once a co-op town with furniture store, butchers even a funeral directors all gone now the only reminder is this lovely mosaic that was at the entrance to a small supermarket that closed about 25 years ago

4alex brown was the local ironmongers the shop is still an ironmongers now but trades under a different name

5Spencers brewery was taken over by Ushers brewery that was in turn later bought by the dread Watneys

What was once the Pavilion Cinema stands bang next door to the more famous Shepherds Bush Empire theatre.
Designed by Frank Verity, the Pavilion, opened in 1923, could seat 2,767 people.
With a fine disregard for inflation (which, ironically, was galloping away in Germany at the time), someone arranged to have carved along the side of the building the message:
CINEMATOGRAPH THEATRE CONTINUOUS PERFORMANCE SEATS 1/- 6d & 3d (5p, 2½p, and 1¼p)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
2 next to each other in Seven Sisters Rd - London

This is the info that I dug up ;)

Based at 523 Seven Sisters Road, Tottenham, the company is mentioned in a 1938 issue of Chemist and Druggist: The Newsweekly for Pharmacy.
In it, it is announced that the partnership between M. Herman and FR. Watkins, manufacturers of toilet and fancy goods under the style of Herman & Watkins, has been dissolved.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
spotted this today and had to avoid the wardens to get the picture through the front window of the van .it was on golders green road just off the north circular road .
P4105612.jpg

Had a fare to London this afternoon.

The Ferodo bridge in Camden, I cant believe that they are painting over this :(
Here's how it once looked
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ferodo_Bridge_Camden_Road.JPG
IMG_8372e.jpg

Jewel Rd - Walthamstow - London - Cant even make out the name on this one?
IMG_8367E.jpg

O'Meara Camping Ltd - Tottenham
IMG_8375e.jpg

Daily News - Albert Rd - South Tottenham - London - Just done a little research and found that the name "Daily News" was used up until 1930 when the paper merged and became the "News Chronicle"
IMG_8369E.jpg

Like these Goldie, I think I may know of a couple more near you as I may have lived near where a few of yours were taken.

Latest posts

Back