Ghost Ads

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are great and really illustrate "gentler"times gone by when things and service mattered and goods were quality,unlike todays neon world of manic tat:exclaim::).

I have noticed that apart from the usual commercial premises and city centres,a good source is backstreets,especially on corners where old family run shops have closed down and been converted into houses.

We often spend ages trying to decipher the worn out ones,folks must wonder what we are doing staring up at their walls:lol::)

DSC_0053-2.png

another leicester one.....i saw the bower one today!

Hi all

Just one pic to add as follows.

This used to be my grandads shop near Wakefield. He sold up in about 1985ish. Since then the once proud 'Self Service Store' has been through a good few hands, hacked about a lot and subsequently shut down. Upon removal of the awful 'Coca-Cola' branded frontage you can still make out where the original letters were. I seem to recall they were a pale grey with red raised borders.

Lindleys1.jpg

Cheers
ML

Interesting :) nice to see a family connection

I had spotted this one a while back while looking out of the top floor window of a nearby factory we were exploring. I finally took a picture today

ad10.jpg

Here is another one on the same building (you can see the first one top right) It was uncovered after some workshops were demolished. They both seem to be advertising '*unreadable* Barron Co Engineers' They are very faded but they must be extremely old as they are obscured by a factory which is at least 100 years old.

ad11.jpg

There's a nice one been recently uncovered by the removal of a billboard in bitterne triangle in southampton, it says ecko radio or something like that, can't take a picture because I'm in wales.

is that last one on knighton lane? measom dryliners?
my mam worked there:)

Been dying to find one of these! :mrgreen:
On the side of the 'Crew Rest & Locker Room' on the WW2 site at Dunkeswell Airfield.
Now part of the industrial estate, this was presumably one of the industries that used this block...UDE Safe Stores.

dunkeswell65.jpg

Been dying to find one of these! :mrgreen:
On the side of the 'Crew Rest & Locker Room' on the WW2 site at Dunkeswell Airfield.
Now part of the industrial estate, this was presumably one of the industries that used this block...UDE Safe Stores.

dunkeswell65.jpg

I was waiting for this :mrgreen: ;), knew you couldnt resist it! :lol:

I've seen a few around near me.

Often old warehouses still have the original owners names on the walls, in Stockport the London & North Western Railway Company warehouse still has the name in big letters, though it's now a branch of Safe Store.

There's a building in Marple that has CAFE in big letters painted directly onto the pitched roof, though it's been a solicitor's office for as long as I can remember.

Another thing to spot, often on walls are former street names. A few names were changed in Stockport around the time postcodes were introduced, & the council often left the original signs up with the addtion of a "Late" sign between it and the new one. Some newer signs have both names on.

Ad on back of victorian paintings

Hello guys iv got an old pair of victorian paintings ,and they where painted on board.One is of an old ruined church.On the back of them is old victorian adverts for pigeon an d fowl feed.painters at teh time with limited money would use old board from any source to paint on rather than the more exspensive canvas,James/lotus

Latest posts

Back