Ghost Ads

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lovely old advertisement on the side of an apartment block in Manchester, formerly a lead works, in Dulcie St. The company of HA Howard & Sons can be traced back to the 1940s. My further research indicates that Gileric were a label of their day, making dresses and tunics from the 1940s to the 1960s, possibly even earlier.

7586044030_1e83a8fdda_z.jpg

been on the hunt for this one for a long time.in North Finchley north London.i can't make out if it was oddbins written on it or not .i remember my mate saying that that bloke was taking ages painting up there :):) pics from about 1980
oddbinspaintedwhite.jpg
before
aboveoddbinsghostsignnorthfinchley.jpg
after
now it's gone ! i must get a pic of what's there now.

not seen anything as good.i think it's a cat looking out of the top window .

Last edited:
Yet more from Bath,both interesting if you are into local history.The pair are on separate buildings but both are on the opposite side of the road to Sydney Wharf on the Kennet and Avon Canal at the point where the coal was unloaded from the Somerset coal field this came down the cut via the Somerset Coal Canal.Both show a faint residue of a faint ghost ad behind the ghost ad if you see what I mean.

Seers Coal office

This one has unfortunately had an external flue built over it,the upper word reads cleveland which is a name common to Bath and further up the canal is cleveland wharf.Below seems to begin ushe... maybe ushers which was the name of a coal merchant in Bath

been on the hunt for this one for a long time.in North Finchley north London.i can't make out if it was oddbins written on it or not .i remember my mate saying that that bloke was taking ages painting up there :):) pics from about 1980
oddbinspaintedwhite.jpg
before
after

Looks like a Banksy.

Loving that tile work!

Out on a short bike ride today, my eldest lad points and shouts 'ghost sign!', hes right, and its in our own village! Six years I must have walked, ridden and driven past it dozens of times. I'll get it photographed this weekend

Little monkey has just spotted another eight in the local town using Google Earth Streetview!

Last edited:
Some more from Selby. First up is the one i've been after for some time

DSC00141.png

Then we come to one of the buildings originally part of the railway and docks

DSC00135.png

DSC00138.png

DSC00137.png

DSC00136.png

DSC00133.png

DSC00134.png

I cant be entirely certain that these signs are in their original place, although the signs themselves are original. A couple of local urchins (who bore a startling resemblance to a pair of Sherlock Holmes Baker Street Irregulars) told me that the fella who lives in the house is a bit of a 'fruit', which is possibly demonstrated by the next photo

DSC00139.png

It seems the old fella put this up there, for some odd reason

A little further along is this sign

DSC00132.png

These are on a pub on the high street, they are not particularly clear but say 'Selby Ales'

DSC00145.png

DSC00144.png

And this over the road is now a trendy bar/cafe

DSC00146.png

and the final old sign from me today, not particularly old, but the shop has well and truly closed down

DSC00140.png

Finally, a modern plaque, on the building that was the original train station, the first in Yorkshire

DSC00131.png

oddbinspaintedwhite.jpg
before
after

Took a bit of finding, but I think this is the right place.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=no...=LpngBEpKFOzGt8CVVIf7JQ&cbp=12,66.28,,0,-5.63

Back