Glen o Dee, Banchory - Aug 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stussy

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Visited Glen 0 Dee in early August, just not had the chance to get through all the pics, but here it is. Visited again with jfrsteve, was a lovely day for a explore, think it even broke 25 degrees! Unfortunately the basement is now well sealed because of Asbestos and flooding by the local neds.

Was my first explore of this building, was very interesting to see, slightly disconcerting with a live nursing home literally 50 metres away looking onto the rear.

Wee bit of history....

The original building was built in 1900 and started its life as Nordrach on Dee Hospital, a sanctuary for tuberculosis patients. When TB died down it served as a luxury hotel (when it became "Glen O' Dee"), but was taken over during the war to serve as a billet for troops.

It reprised its role in contagious diseases when the typhoid epidemic hit nearby Aberdeen in the 1960s, but its last use was as a residential home for the elderly. The original building closed in 1998, when a new purpose built building was built on the same site.

Approach

Conservatory

There are a lot of books laying around, not much of interest though!

Corridor

Dining Hall

Nurses Accommodation

Stairwell / Corridor

Donated Ward Bed :neutral:

Stain-glass window

Stain-glass on the water tower

Top Floor Balcony

Couple more externals

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
yes walking along the main top corridor is well unnerving with the new one so close but as you mention the low windows was due to it being a TB hospital love the way you can see the bend in the corridor as well if you look carefully. Nice pictures mate :)

Great shots there Stussy! Captured the building very well I think!

Cheers for posting :)

I likey, can you move it down south a bit though???

I'd happily move it down your way if you could move some of the amazing places you have been up here!
MAybe you should undertake a trip up too Scotland instead... :idea:

i really love this place! shame theyre thinking of tearing it down as far as id heard!!
Would have been a brilliant hotel back in the day, i can see it being one of those really posh luxury ones!!
brilliant post!

I do love this site, I really should go and see it as it has family ties (most of the population of Banchory are relatives), but the chances of me making it to Aberdeen any time soon are slim to none! Thanks for the report. :)

this place featured on the BBC programme Restoration a couple of years back. Marrianne Suhr and Ptolmy Deane gave it high praise but it didnt win (obviously)

So jealous you managed to get into this! We went on Friday. New fences have been put up, ALL windows are now boarded, including the ones of the first and second floor and they have CCTV. We didn't have a hope in hell. :( Amazing building all the same.

Very interesting shots and history!:)
I wonder whats gona happen to the place as they seem to be protecting it now? I hope it around for longer!

Latest posts

Back