Gnat Bank Mill, Near Rochdale Lancs

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derelictman7

Reaction score
Located between Rochdale and Heywood and situated at the bottom of a densely wooded valley, and close to the banks of the river Roch. The area originally known as ‘Natfield’ has been mentioned in documents that go back to 1534.In the early stages of the Industrial Revolution, the banks of the river Roch was the most sought after location for the emerging manufacturers of wool and cotton processing, as they could use the potent source of the river to power the machinery.
Gnat Bank Mill, may have been built in the early part of the 19th century, once owned according to records by J.J Mellor. The other strange thing about this place,
there is no evidence of a wide trackway, just footpaths? The mill used water then steam power.

Tunnel I
Height 1584.96mm [5.2ft] Width 1798.32mm [5.9ft]
Unsure of the function of the tunnels, as the recess is approximately 1828.8mm [6ft] above the banks of the river. Inside the tunnel, the brickwork appears to be worn indicating an older structure. Inside the arch on the left hand side, the ceiling has a wooden lining, whether it was used as a form of membrane to allow a clear flow, or to avoid debris from the erosion of brickwork, still unsure at this stage.
Partial elements of stone structures and brick are at the junction points
Tunnel II

Is approximately 12192mm [40ft] in length and 1737.36mm [5.7ft] high Width 2133.6mm [7ft] and is closed off at the end one of the features include a cast iron pipe that protrudes from the ceiling may have been used as an outlet.

Attachments

• surface ruin1.jpg
    surface ruin1.jpg
    856.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Cast Iron pipe.JPG
    Cast Iron pipe.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 178
  • ent tunnel3.jpg
    ent tunnel3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 185
  • Entrance 2.jpg
    Entrance 2.jpg
    865.8 KB · Views: 194
  • entrance1.jpg
    entrance1.jpg
    638.5 KB · Views: 186
  • Tunnel 3 woodlined.jpg
    Tunnel 3 woodlined.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Tunnel 3.JPG
    Tunnel 3.JPG
    387.8 KB · Views: 191
  • entrance tunnel 3.jpg
    entrance tunnel 3.jpg
    961 KB · Views: 184
  • Tunnel 3 woodlined.jpg
    Tunnel 3 woodlined.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 174
Reasonably local (Whitefield). I had never heard of this area, although I has a look at Crimble Mills nearby last week. I have not got a blog post but I post my photos, mainly architectural on Facebook, where I am Philip Wharmby.9

Hi Phil , I will check out your site....there is a lad who is based in Whitefield called Connor, his YT channel CURBEX...he did a few colabs with Martin Zero, in fact me and Curbex went to Healy Dell near Rochdale....let us know if you want to do Gnat Bank..ill be glad to show you round...all the best..Jon... btw check this link

thanks- brings back many memories. As a former Rochdalian now based in Essex, I remember some very nice walks around Gnat Bank mill, and the valley.
As a child, I remember the River Roch in the town centre, just by the old Yelloway Coach station - the river used to run all the colours of the rainbow, such was the effluent from the local mills.

thanks- brings back many memories. As a former Rochdalian now based in Essex, I remember some very nice walks around Gnat Bank mill, and the valley.
As a child, I remember the River Roch in the town centre, just by the old Yelloway Coach station - the river used to run all the colours of the rainbow, such was the effluent from the local mills.
Hi Verdigris.....Yeah, the multicoloured River Roch I remember that as well...I worked on the John St bridge in 1979..I used to assist the scaffolding team, which meant wading in the river. setting up the frames..some of the things that used to float past..lol....

Back