Govanhill & Dollan Baths, Glasgow June 09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorecki

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The Govanhill Baths, closed in 2001 amidst outcry from the local and wider communities, has lain empty since.

The Govanhill Baths Community Trust, formed from a vibrant and determined grassroots campaign to save the Baths, is raising funds to renovate the Baths as a Health and Wellbeing Centre, run by the community for the community.
They have recently been granted planning permission for the renovations.

This place is magical, I was like a kid in a candy store :mrgreen:

IMG_3556copy.jpg

IMG_3665copy.jpg

IMG_3570copy.jpg

Main Reception

IMG_3725copy.jpg

Upstairs to the actual baths

IMG_3657copy.jpg

IMG_3649copy.jpg

IMG_3655copy.jpg

IMG_3619copy.jpg

Sunbed Room

IMG_3678copy.jpg

Sauna Area

IMG_3694copy.jpg

IMG_3695copy.jpg

IMG_3728copy.jpg

Ladies Pool

IMG_3726copy.jpg

Small Pool

IMG_3715copy.jpg

Fitness Room

IMG_3603copy.jpg

Staf Room

IMG_3617copy.jpg

The Washouse / Laundrette / Steamie

IMG_3735copy.jpg

Boiler Area

IMG_3746copy.jpg

IMG_3748copy.jpg

The Trust's activities extend into many areas, including an exciting and developing programme of the arts.
For further information, please visit the website www.govanhillbaths.com or get in touch at [email protected]

I also belive the baths are opening in September for Doors Open Day so get down there, it's a stunning place!

IMG_3553copy.jpg

Next stop was Dollan Aqua Center in East Kilbride!
It's closed until 2011 for maintenance.
FAIL
Security was well on the ball, got inside for about 2 minutes but got a few crap shots by pointing and clicking!

dollan4.jpg

dollan1.jpg

dollan5.jpg

dollan3.jpg

wow, the Govanhill Baths, its ridiculous that such a beatuful building was closed in the first place but its awesome that they are going to renovate it. I will have to check it out when it opens again!

amazing photos btw!

Fabulous find, Gorecki. I'm very much in two minds about derelict swimming pools...I'd love to explore one, but don't want to see one closed as I love my swimming too much! :lol:
Great that it's going to be renovated and brought back into use though. :)

Having been born in East Kilbride, my brother used to take me to the Dollan baths as a kid. He used to dump me in the kiddies pool and go off to the diving pool. Although I was only 4 or 5 I remember it like it was yesterday:) The dinstinctive arch shape has always stuck in my mind for some reason. Ahhhh, memories

Back