Hello from Didcot!

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stew55

Reaction score
Hello all.
From didcot.
I’ve always been into exploring but I’ve not had much luck! 🤣
Looking for a partner in crime to go exploring! (And also my sense of direction is pretty dire 😂)
some of the reports on here are just amazing.

It would have to be pretty Dire if you Live in Didcot, dam place is the pits I would not admit to it, I don't even know if Fluffy still lives there. You might be luck to find the odd place around here. Welcome along

It would have to be pretty Dire if you Live in Didcot, dam place is the pits I would not admit to it, I don't even know if Fluffy still lives there. You might be luck to find the odd place around here. Welcome along
Yes, didcot has become something else over the years! I agree!
thanks for the welcome.

Naaah. Didcot's not that bad. Cornerstone arts centre is a plus: been to a couple of beer festivals there. A few decent shops in the Orchard Centre. Good off licence along the Broadway. Still see a few shell suit, knuckle draggers out on benefit day but nowhere near as bad as it used to be. And - if you're a radio ham - it's got its own 70cm repeater, GB3DI. What's not to like?

Naaah. Didcot's not that bad. Cornerstone arts centre is a plus: been to a couple of beer festivals there. A few decent shops in the Orchard Centre. Good off licence along the Broadway. Still see a few shell suit, knuckle draggers out on benefit day but nowhere near as bad as it used to be. And - if you're a radio ham - it's got its own 70cm repeater, GB3DI. What's not to like?
Sounds like your blind as well then. The Broadway is just a row of takeaways and charity shops now, not that it was ever much better than that. On lower Broadway there is hole between the buildings (it's an insult to call them shops) where the old Goodalls Motorbike shop was burned down. The whole of that industrial estate on Riches Sidings need redeveloping along with the shops. In fact all of Broadway need doing except no developer would waste their money on it. Now they are building more houses along the straight mile to Appleford till eventually the whole place will be over developed and WTF are the working on Lower Broadway again the traffic jams are causing chaos. And if you want to know I remember the Old Power station being built so I know what the place used to look like.

Sounds like your blind as well then. The Broadway is just a row of takeaways and charity shops now, not that it was ever much better than that. On lower Broadway there is hole between the buildings (it's an insult to call them shops) where the old Goodalls Motorbike shop was burned down. The whole of that industrial estate on Riches Sidings need redeveloping along with the shops. In fact all of Broadway need doing except no developer would waste their money on it. Now they are building more houses along the straight mile to Appleford till eventually the whole place will be over developed and WTF are the working on Lower Broadway again the traffic jams are causing chaos. And if you want to know I remember the Old Power station being built so I know what the place used to look like.
Having been a member of the Great Western Society for decades, I know Didcot well from my many visits to the Didcot Railway Centre. Almost every small to medium size UK town is suffering the same blight. And finishing up indistinguishable one from another.

Having been a member of the Great Western Society for decades, I know Didcot well from my many visits to the Didcot Railway Centre. Almost every small to medium size UK town is suffering the same blight. And finishing up indistinguishable one from another.
Blimey you were a few miles from where I live, scary. It's a shame I admit but then Didcot has never been much of a town, it was built on the Railway
BTW you are one up on me I have never really been around the GWR, it one of those places I would love to go but not got around to it

Blimey you were a few miles from where I live, scary. It's a shame I admit but then Didcot has never been much of a town, it was built on the Railway
BTW you are one up on me I have never really been around the GWR, it one of those places I would love to go but not got around to it
Many towns exist only for transport reasons. Think of all those at river crossings and as seaports. There was the Dicot, Newbury and Southampton Railway - which only got as far south as Winchester. It was absorbed into the GWR but, apart from during WWII, was never busy. Closed in stages from 1960 to 1964. But Didcot was the junction for the line to Oxford, hence the large loco shed. Now it as far west as the electrified section of the main line from Paddington currently operates. Please do visit the railway centre - usually open at weekends. There's a decent cafe there.

Many towns exist only for transport reasons. Think of all those at river crossings and as seaports. There was the Dicot, Newbury and Southampton Railway - which only got as far south as Winchester. It was absorbed into the GWR but, apart from during WWII, was never busy. Closed in stages from 1960 to 1964. But Didcot was the junction for the line to Oxford, hence the large loco shed. Now it as far west as the electrified section of the main line from Paddington currently operates. Please do visit the railway centre - usually open at weekends. There's a decent cafe there.
The electrification extend to Wales, at least the lines do. They did start the part to Oxford but only the gantry's can be seen and that only seems to extend to Culham but then I would not be able to confirm that as I have taken a train to Oxford in Years.

Hi Stew55 and welcome to the group ...... Been living in Didcot now for 30yrs and absolutely loved the place when i moved here from London. Unfortunately since then the place has been (and still is being) overdeveloped and is now just another clone town. If i could move away tomorrow i would as the place is a shit hole but i fear i will be here for good ..... Anyway never mind ... As you are probably aware Oxfordshire is hardly the exploration capital of the world but, depending on your interest there are many goodies around (esp WWII artefacts) but nothing really sexy. I generally only get excited now when a trip to North Wales is on the cards - so much to see and most left to decay as nature intended, with very few brain dead morons to help it on its way .... Underground is the only way to go, back to the past with all its treasures ....... I cant recommend the Slate Quarries highly enough - check out Hughie Ds top notch reports. Drop me a PM if need any help with locations but i am not into residential sites or the like ......
PS Hi to all the other locals on this thread and a quick note to Mr Crawler - I cannot believe you haven't visited the Railway Centre yet it is an excellent day out ......

The electrification extend to Wales, at least the lines do. They did start the part to Oxford but only the gantry's can be seen and that only seems to extend to Culham but then I would not be able to confirm that as I have taken a train to Oxford in Years.
The route from Didcot via Bath to Bristol has the Overhead Line Equipment as far as Chippenham, but not live. The bimodal trains use their diesel engines west of Didcot. In 2017 the trackbed through Box and Middle Hill Tunnels was lowered by about two feet to allow for the OLE. Such holies of holies are so far undesecrated.

Hi Stew55 and welcome to the group ...... Been living in Didcot now for 30yrs and absolutely loved the place when i moved here from London. Unfortunately since then the place has been (and still is being) overdeveloped and is now just another clone town. If i could move away tomorrow i would as the place is a shit hole but i fear i will be here for good ..... Anyway never mind ... As you are probably aware Oxfordshire is hardly the exploration capital of the world but, depending on your interest there are many goodies around (esp WWII artefacts) but nothing really sexy. I generally only get excited now when a trip to North Wales is on the cards - so much to see and most left to decay as nature intended, with very few brain dead morons to help it on its way .... Underground is the only way to go, back to the past with all its treasures ....... I cant recommend the Slate Quarries highly enough - check out Hughie Ds top notch reports. Drop me a PM if need any help with locations but i am not into residential sites or the like ......
PS Hi to all the other locals on this thread and a quick note to Mr Crawler - I cannot believe you haven't visited the Railway Centre yet it is an excellent day out ......
Well done for pushing the Didcot Railway Centre as worth a visit, indeed a whole day out.

Well done for pushing the Didcot Railway Centre as worth a visit, indeed a whole day out.

As a kid I spent a lot of time staying in didcot with my aunt and uncle, they lived in station Rd and he worked at the station from after the war till he died. My uncle was one of the men that started the railway centre.
I have been back but Didcot has changed so much.

Perhaps you could help this old man around it one day :giggle:

As a kid I spent a lot of time staying in didcot with my aunt and uncle, they lived in station Rd and he worked at the station from after the war till he died. My uncle was one of the men that started the railway centre.
I have been back but Didcot has changed so much.
Just clocked your name, your slumming it a bit especially if you went back to Didcot, Station Road is not a place would want to frequent now :giggle:

I’ve always been into exploring but I’ve not had much luck! 🤣
Looking for a partner in crime to go exploring!
Hello, got any luck lately or partner in crime?🙂

Latest posts

Back