Quantcast

Help with Locations

Help Support Derelict Places:

Urbex MK

Reaction score
I've read that in the rules you cant ask for locations of places. How am i supposed to find out where something is if i have basically nothing to go off? People have mentioned finding potential places to search well how do you find these things?

cogito

Reaction score
Research is about 90% of this hobby.

Whether it's reading through countless local news articles, trying tens of variations of search terms, running different phrases through Google Translate relative the the country where a location might be, matching up snippets of info with what's visible on Google Maps, identifying tiny clues in existing photos be it paperwork or brickwork, reverse image searching to see if anything comes up or even just plain old driving around and being nosey.

Research is what makes all this possible.

Mikeymutt

Reaction score
Did someone really ask this. I know when I started out I did loads off searching and hunting and still do. It's really not that hard. It's why it's called exploring. You go out and explore.

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Did someone really ask this. I know when I started out I did loads off searching and hunting and still do. It's really not that hard. It's why it's called exploring. You go out and explore.

Hey to be fair at least they read the rules, which is more than a lot of people!

Cogito makes good suggestions. There's a lot of leg work involved, even for people who have been into this for a long time. Failure is the norm, even if you find out where places are.

Mikeymutt

Reaction score
Ha ha,to be fair they did. It's normally a straight in asking. If you get a few locations under your belt and contribute it's surprising how quickly you can build up a network off friends. I never knew anyone when I started. I just liked old military buildings. And came across this forum. And it grew from there. Trust me when you find your first place and do it for the first time. You will get a great sense off achievement. Sorry the first comment prob come across a bit blunt.

WhiteStag13

Reaction score
I tend to note a few places when in passing either on the way to work or passing by on the train.

On long train journeys you'll be surprised just how much you notice. From there on i figure out roughly where the said place is by giving a rough guess of how far along the line between the two stations it is.

I've got my eye on some places quite near to where I live so I've spent a lot of time looking on the local council website. Libraries are also a good shout if you're looking for something in particular, survey's maps, reports, sometimes physically looking for something can be a lot easier than filtering through unrelated sources on the web.

Whilst doing my history degree, we had a module based on research methods, keep an open mind and don't get too hung up on a single source!

HughieD

Reaction score
I've read that in the rules you cant ask for locations of places. How am i supposed to find out where something is if i have basically nothing to go off? People have mentioned finding potential places to search well how do you find these things?

All you need is:

1. A computer
2. An inquisitive mind
3. A bit of initiative

Search the forum for reports. Search Google.com. Use terms like "derelict", "abandoned" and add the name of the place/area you are searching in. Google Maps is your friend. Also just get out there an look!

And see all the pointers above from other people - all good advice!

Last edited:

Sabtr

Veteran Member
Reaction score
HughieD you forgot number 4: Good looks ;)

With a lot of explores I can still remember how I stumbled upon them.
Using Google mapping in satellite view and spotting the long shadow of a tall chimney hidden in dense woodland for example.
It'll also depend on where you live - rural? Urban? I'm more rural and so things are spread out but they do exist. Another example is a post WW2 forest they planted in Northumberland. It was originally farm land. Those farmers were thus out of business and moved on but their farm buildings still stand hidden in the dense pine trees.
You have to learn a few key skills but it's not difficult.

Typing the above has made me realise a location that's on a Summer list and needs doing haha!

Sectionate

Veteran Member
Reaction score
Local planning applications
Local news sites
Brownfield registers

Many tools out there to use

urban-dorset

Reaction score
If you want instant results then urbexing isn't for you. It it's all about perseverance... days, weeks, months, years. Occasionally you will find that pot of gold, which makes it all worthwhile. :)

BikinGlynn

Reaction score
Did u mean good looks? Jees that’s why I struggle so much 😂