Hereford Cattle Market - Pre Demolition

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooksprings

Reaction score
Hereford Cattle Market Pre-Demolition

Is it possible for me to get nostalgic about some cheap built homage to the sacrifices and slaughter of the
old gods, that I have not once visited? Yes, because knowing that this edifice is present in the town gives
impression and character to it, a power that is unseen on the streets. It is a mirror to those who trade in
modern day slave labour.

But never mind (!) it has moved elsewhere the bricks will be recycled and the asbestos reused in children's
schools. As for the site, it remains and will be used for a new Tesco! Imagine that, 3 Tescos in one town!
That's like a Sunday sale bargain! Forever cursed will they be with the mooing of the ages.

History: The last inner-city cattle market in England. Built circa 1950 with minimum costs, sparse heating.
Features loading bays, cattle stables, an auction room and an accounts room with an old hydraulic money
pipe shoot and ancient electric motors. This building was a replacement of the earlier Victorian buildings.
On Wednesdays the market would throng with all types of animal and produce, a popular day out not just
for farmers. However, the cattle and sheep that were droved here have been for at least a 1000 years
(up to at least 1970). They would have been shoeed and driven by foot as far away as North England.

"The site of the old cattle market is being developed by JH Stanhope PLC and is due for completion in 2014.
The Old Market will include a Debenhams department store, six screen digital Odeon cinema, Waitrose food
store and a variety of shops and restaurants." Herefordfuture. The old market has moved to a £7m home at
Stretton Sugwa. Where improved facilities have seen a 60% rise in sales.

The demolition of the retail shops surrounding has started by McAlpine. Rumour has it a Roman settlement
is buried beneath the site.

spoken memories: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-13747344

Pictures of varying quality due to bad light, laziness, fear and broken auto focus.
I concentrated on the cattle market as the retail units were being processed and surrounded by workers.

overview.jpg

Satellite View Courtesy Google Maps 2009

overhead.jpg

View from the multistorey car park

lairage.jpg

Lairage is the company that "read and record ear tag numbers and passport details into the computer system".

grind.jpg

Retail units from the ancient roadside apple cider press

delivery.jpg

The stock delivery area

ringout.jpg

The Auction building

sign.jpg

Stucco sign

kidpic.jpg

Pictures by the gifted hallucinations of local school children.

ring.jpg

The main auction ring

lecturn.jpg

View from the auctioneers lecturn

mancow.jpg

desk.jpg

The administration offices with hardwood desks

cockshoot.jpg

The hydralic compressed air money shoot. A secure means of transporting money via pipes. Known fondly by the lady workers as the 'shooting bull cock'.

lamb.jpg

reams.jpg

Vendor info prinouts dated March '96 using a dotmatrix printer.

broke.jpg

spookroom.jpg

Spooky room full of treasure with a jammed door.

thekill.jpg

Tape 1 "Killing Ewes 28.5.86." Early attempt by farmers at audiobook horror story?

poke.jpg

I imagine this to be a giant cattle prod, but it's probably a drain opener.

tag.jpg

deliverin.jpg

The stock delivery bay.

pens.jpg

The cattle holding pens

oops.jpg

Accidents abound as do compensations for poor farmer.

punk.jpg

Punk got here before punk.

blair.jpg

A little bit of politics.

engine.jpg

This is an early diesel driven electrical motor used for lights/heat.

mark.jpg

light.jpg

Last person out turn off the light?

herder.jpg

Farmers used to drink their pints here...BEFORE going to market.

bulltown.jpg

This is the only bull you'll see rampaging through Hereford streets. Located near the 'Old House'.

Thanks for viewing! James

had a walk about here a few months ago now..nice to see a report up on it,.must admit i do miss the chicken market on a wednesday, and it was quite weird walking round it totally empty..the police have been using it as a training course also. nice report thanks for sharing.

Nice stuff, I might have to MOOOOve my arse up there and have a look at that

:yes:

Pneumatic tube systems for transporting cash etc are ofter referred to as Lamson tubes. On original Lamson systems it is quite common to see the name Lamson cast on parts of the system pipework.
Many modern supermarkets still use a similar system to move cash from the tills to office.

Farmer's son here so i love this report - there is a similar debate going on in Abergavenny. It's a sign of the times that 'market towns' no longer have markets in them .. Thanks for posting ..

Super photos! I enjoyed looking at them.

One question. Just how does one "fall over a piece of string"?

Very interesting, there are fewer and fewer cattle and sheep marts left, enjoyed reading your thoughts on the place..

BTW, a lairage is a building with holding pens for livestock.

Latest posts

Back