High rise Pillbox

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffy5518

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Stopped off specially yesterday to phot this little baby (whilst en route to the imperial war museum with my hairy buddy Newage) An odd one this-it is a two storey affair, although i think that the lower storey which is just an extension of the bridge parapit, was built to give it extra strength(there are no embrasures in the lower section,just an entrance.)The top section is five sided and contains six embrasures and an entrance reached by a fixed ladder on the railway side.Pillboxes near central London are definately not common and this one is definately worth pointing a few thousand pixels at !!!!:pThe location being Putney Bridge stn on London Undergrounds District Line.
DPP_0021copy.jpg

DPP_0022copy.jpg

What a strange little beast, just perched there.

Is it possible to access?

Would be good to see what its views of arcs are.

Are there are others that might be included in a defensive line?

looks in very good nick, i wonder if it was used postwar as a lineside store?

Would have wreaked bloody hell on anyone trying to advance up the tracks!

Hi all ;
It does hold quite a commanding position !! Not only does it cover the road (which is now pedestrianised) it also covers the Putney Bridge over the Thames as well as the up and down lines of the District line !! It is still possible to access it from the ramp at the end of the southbound platform but not only would you have to negotiate 660v DC but also The anti terrorist squad,MI5,Irate station staff,Dixon of Dock Green,The Sweeney and the Southern sector of the Wimbledon Womens Institute !!:)
PS Sea Horse, See me after class !!!:mrgreen:

Back