Hill House & Harford Farm

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked Explore

Reaction score

Derelict shell of Hill House & Harford Farm

Explored April 2021 Naked Score of 31 (See Video) Library ref: 5

2L Hill House and Harford Farm Norwich 2021.jpg 6L The Arch and mes of the Hill House.jpg

Peering and looking out over the A47 near Norwich is this mysterious rotten, unloved house accompanied by several mixed farm buildings next to it.

I did wonder if I should have this report in two parts, split with the House and Farm and the fact they appear to be unconnected by name, the House is called Hill House and the farm is, Harford Farm but just going to cram them in together to be lazy. This is a well-known and explored location and from previous reports can see the site evolving more into decay, crumbling away. Time soon for it to be saved, hopefully.

18L Be carefull now Hill House and Harford Farm Norwich.jpg

The Find.

Spotted this house from the road and instantly gasmmed and put it on my list. Had to do a bit of homework on how to get near to it as there is no clear routes or roads.

History.

Due to it being a well visited sight and thanks to previous explores doing their homework, I didn’t need to do much to find out info on the site. The house is more of the enigma, so I did some digging to add to what’s already out there. The House appears to have been built between 1910/12 compare this to the oldest part of the farm buildings that date pre 1870s. The area has had several Roman and Saxon finds. There is a lost abandoned Village of Markshall and Church along with ancient Saxon Cemetery that was within a mile of the buildings to the north, this was excavated in the early '90s and the finds including Jewellery is now safe in Norwich Museum. The old farm building was last used as a large fruit farm shop. It looks like with the construction of the A47 in the 1990s it sealed the death of the shop as it cut of access to its road, the house abandoned at the same time.

The Explore.

Wanted to time this with the sunset to get a warm reddish glow, I did mange this, but it meant I had to rush around before it got to dark so undoubtedly missed a few things and hurt the quality.

3 The Way Into the Hill House and Harford Farm.jpgAfter the walk up through farmland I came up to the House first. There are many ways in, the best one is by a large hole in the side of the wall that you can just walk into. This led into a large room that had a large arch that split the room to the adjoining main living room.

4L Just a litte bit of a mess in the Hill House and Harford Farm.jpgThe floors were cluttered with items and rubbish that may well have been from fly tipping but could well be the last owners left items. Next to here is what’s left of Kitchen, this along with the units have all been destroyed.

9L Going up in the Hill House.jpgGoing upstairs was a treat, there was remains of the carpet, lime green with mould. Nothing but rotten beams left of the floor, not very safe to explore around the bedrooms so could only peer into the bedrooms from afar.

Back down, there was a large back garden that had some rotten old sheds overgrown by bramble and signs of a section of the house that had long collapsed.

8 Back Garden of the Hill House.jpg

Heading out back through the open hole you walk a short distance to the farm buildings, passing the large silos on the way. 15L Looking out to the Harford Farm.jpg

There appears to be three large buildings still standing. The oldest and worse off looking was the farm shop. Access was to step over part of the collapsed wall and into the dark empty storage area. Coming outside and along is the more modern looking shed that looks to be in good condition and contained some farm equipment and tractor. There was what looked like a recently parked car sitting there but no sign of anyone.

22L Hill House and Harford Farm Norwich 2021.jpg

With light failing and battery failing I never got to take any photos of inside the last shed that was mostly roofless and empty.25 Whats left of the third farm building of Harford Farm.jpg

1L Hill House and Harford Farm  Norwich 2021.jpg 2L Hill House and Harford Farm Norwich 2021.jpg 3 The Way Into the Hill House and Harford Farm.jpg 4L Just a litte bit of a mess in the Hill House and Harford Farm.jpg 5L Kitchen needs a bit of work in the Hill House and Harford Farm.jpg 6L The Arch and mes of the Hill House.jpg 7 Yellow Thistle living room of the Hill House and Harford Farm  Norwich.jpg 8 Back Garden of the Hill House.jpg 9L Going up in the Hill House.jpg 10L Going down in the Hill House.jpg 11L Going through the Hill House.jpg 12L Bathroom ventation of the Hill House and Harford Farm.jpg 13 Bathroom of the Hill House.jpg 14L Beedroom comforts of the Hill House.jpg 15L Looking out to the Harford Farm.jpg 16L Looking back to Hill House.jpg 17L Part of the old Farm shop at the Harford Farm Norwich.jpg 18L Be carefull now Hill House and Harford Farm Norwich.jpg 19L What crimes did this poor extinguisher do to be hung like this in the warehouse at Harford...jpg 20 Hill House and Harford Farm Norwich 2021.jpg 21L Hill House and Harford Farm Norwich 2021.jpg 22L Hill House and Harford Farm Norwich 2021.jpg 23L Hill House and Harford Farm Norwich 2021.jpg 24L Inside the newer looking shed of Harford Farm.jpg 25 Whats left of the third farm building of Harford Farm.jpg

Interesting explore and nice set of photos, Naked Explore. Love that roofless barn/shed and those stairs & upper floors are amazing! Nice one. :)

Latest posts

Back